Last Updated March 3, 2022 by Edward Pullen
Playing basketball on indoor courts is great fun but choosing the best indoor basketball is a difficult and boring task. Some of the basketballs perform really well, and a few feel amazing but the overall performance isn’t great. Therefore, I have mentioned tested reviews of top rated indoor basketballs of 2022 in this article, pick yours and start shooting the hoops.
Indoor basketballs are designed to use on hardwood, therefore they feel much comfortable due to the softer material. On the other hand, outdoor basketballs feel a bit harder because of the strong material to provide lasting durability. The below-mentioned basketballs are good for hardwood courts.
Remember not to use an indoor basketball on outside courts, it will not hold up on the asphalt surface.
Table of Content
- Best Indoor Basketball – 11 Top Rated Basketballs for Hardwood Courts
- 1. Spalding NBA Official Game Ball
- 2. Wilson Evolution Game Basketball
- 3. Baden Elite Indoor Game Basketball
- 4. Wilson Evo NXT
- 5. Nike Elite Championship Official Basketball
- 6. Wilson NCAA Official Game Basketball
- 7. The Rock Indoor Basketball
- 8. Spalding TF 1000 Classic ZK
- 9. Molten BG3800 Series FIBA Approved
- 10. Spalding Precision Indoor Basketball
- 11. Molten X-Series Composite Basketball FIBA Approved
- Best Indoor Basketball: Buying Guide
- How to Take Care of Indoor Basketballs?
- Final Verdict
Best Indoor Basketball – 11 Top Rated Basketballs for Hardwood Courts
Here is a list of the top indoor basketballs with their qualities and prices; these genuine leather and composite balls are the highest rated for indoor courts in 2022.
|1||Spalding NBA Official Game Ball||NBA Players Favorite Basketball|
|2||Wilson Evolution Game Basketball||Best Performance Indoor Basketball|
|3||Baden Elite Indoor Game Basketball||Solid Grip Basketball|
|4||Wilson Evo NXT||Lightweight Basketball|
|5||Nike Elite Championship Official Basketball||Soft Touch Indoor Basketball|
|6||Wilson NCAA Official Game Basketball||Best Basketball for Indoors|
|7||The Rock Indoor Basketball||Best Value for the Money|
|8||Spalding TF 1000 Classic ZK||Legendary Indoor Basketball|
|9||Molten BG3800 Series FIBA Approved||Best for Indoor Outdoor Games|
|10||Spalding Precision Indoor Basketball||Great Looking Indoor Basketball|
|11||Molten X-Series Composite Basketball - FIBA Approved||Most Durable Indoor Basketball|
Spalding is the leading basketball manufacturer and provides the official game ball of the NBA. This authentic and traditional basketball is the best choice of basketball hoopers. Best of all, this exceptionally soft ball is designed with full-grain Horween® leather.
The high-quality durable leather significantly increases its life, the ball definitely lasts for years. However, the only drawback is that it requires some break-in time as the leather feels slightly slick in the beginning. The ball is especially designed for hardwood courts and competitive plays. Its consistent bounce and solid grip make it the best indoor basketball.
- Manufactured with full-grain leather provided by Horween®, it feels soft after the break-in period
- The ball offers a secure natural grip due to wide channels, it rolls off your fingers when you shoot
- Spalding NBA Game ball features an 8-panel standard pebbling design
- It has consistent bounce and the amount of bounce feels perfect when inflated at 8psi
- Its butyl bladder helps to keep the bounce uniform throughout the play
- The ball is durable and designed to last years on indoor courts
Being a basketball professional and fanatic since childhood, it has always been my dream to play with Spalding NBA game ball. After using this ball for a couple of days, I don’t even want to touch any other ball. Its grip feels like second nature and performs better as it ages. Indeed, you’ll not need any other indoor basketball for years.
An Amazon user Christine says, "Takes time to break in but gets better and better each day like fine wine. Every time I lay my eyes on the ball it makes me smile. It is definitely a shooter's ball. I didn't know the meaning of a true bounce until I started using this ball. I bit the bullet and it was totally worth it."
See how much does it cost to purchase the official basketball.
The Wilson Evolution basketball is the most used in high-school plays. Due to its extreme popularity, it is one of the most purchased basketballs in the United States. Also, the ball is approved by the NCAA and NFHS and the most used ball in both of the tournaments. The softer and nicer feel of Wilson evolution makes it the top choice for indoor basketball games.
Best of all, the deep channel design and hundreds of micro-touch points offer a better grip. Moreover, the moisture-wicking channels dry out the sweat while playing. As a result, you have proper control while dribbling, dodging, and shooting goals in the hoop perfectly. It feels like a dream to dribble with a comfortable feel and consistent bounce rate.
- Core Cushioning offers a comfortable grip and ball handling
- Moisture-wicking technology absorbs the sweat of your hand
- Highly durable composite leather helps it to last long
- Evo Microfiber composite cover provides a nice grip that every basketball player dreams for
- The entire surface is textured to provide unparalleled control
- The core of the ball is made of combined low-density sponge rubber along with butyl rubber
- Proper air pressure for consistent bounce and ideal handling is from 7 to 9 psi
Indeed Evolution basketball is the most popular and used ball for high-school and training academy games. In my own experience, I have found the ball quite soft and extremely easy to grip. I shoot a couple of goals in the hoop and experience the joy of using top-rated indoor basketball.
So, if you are looking for the best indoor basketball, Wilson Evolution is recommended without any doubt.
Read a complete overview and detailed features of Wilson Evolution Basketball.
When we talk about basketball manufacturers, the top names come to mind such as Spalding, Wilson, and Molten. However, Baden has produced Baden Elite Game Ball which is a good indoor basketball. Indeed, this ball does worth considering due to its slightly heavier weight and the best suited to practice advanced skills.
The Baden Elite is a top-rated basketball due to its sharp and consistent bounce. Moreover, it feels extremely nice to the palm just like the Wilson Evolution ball. In particular, there is no match when it comes to grip, moist-absorbing features allow players to control and shoot the goal. Also, the long-lasting tack stays consistent right from the beginning.
- Moisture absorbing quality keeps the ball dry
- Top of the line ball, Premium materials make the Elite Basketball the king of the court
- Especially designed for professional players to practice dribbling and shooting basketball drills
- Patented Cushion Control Technology (CCT) ensures responsive and consistent bounce
- Stealth Soft-Valve System (SSS) reduces exposed rubber from the valve stem and softens the entire valve panel
- Approved by the NFHS and is the official basketball of many leagues across America
I am sure you haven't heard good remarks about Baden basketballs but believe me, Baden Elite Game Ball is great indoor basketball. The manufacturer claims to spend around 30 years to make this ball perfect. Indeed, it is a great choice for professionals to practice dribbling, fast crossover and ankle break drills.
Read a complete overview and detailed features of Baden Elite Basketball.
This basketball is getting very popular amongst professionals due to its moisture management technology. The manufacturer promotes this ball as a cross of Evolution and Solution. With a combination of durability and moisture-wicking ability, the ball feels exceptionally soft and provides a solid grip.
No wonder why the ball offers a soft feel, the micro-touch cover with a super soft core helps easy handling and shooting. The super soft core cushioning provides consistent softness on indoor hardwood surfaces.
- The Wilson Evo NXT is manufactured with 100% composite leather, consistent texture superior control
- The ball comes in electric orange color, easy to track its movements in the court
- Its cushioning allows players to push fingers deeper into the surface for solid control without compromising on a softer feel. It helps in finding the shooter’s touch
- The core construction perfectly balances the weight of the basketball for long shots
- Wilson introduced an advanced Micro-Touch Cover with an extra thin layer of texture on the cover for better grip
- The wicking technology reduces sweat moisture from the surface to provide consistent grip throughout the play
Wilson EVO NXT is the top choice if you are looking for a soft feel basketball. However, the ball weighs a bit lighter than other official league basketballs. Hence, if you are planning to train for leagues, I wouldn’t recommend training with this ball.
Nike never disappoints with quality and always manufactures great products for basketball players. This official size (29.5”) Elite Championship basketball is approved by NFHS for high school basketball. Around 250 colleges use this Nike basketball in their sports programs.
What we like about this ball is the micro-perforated material that stops the sweat from collecting on the surface. As a result, the ball stays dry, provides ultra-soft touch and offers better grip throughout the game.
- Constructed with game-dry composite leather, 55% rubber and 45% synthetic leather
- Micro-perforated material offers a dry solid grip
- Ultra-soft feel for a premium performance
- 8-panels wide channels help with quicker hand alignment and proper control on the ball, perfect for shooters
- Leak-proof butyl bladder ensures the optimum air pressure, consistent bounce and keeps the ball in shape for long
The Nike Elite Championship Basketball is one of the best basketballs for indoors with a soft grip and easy handling. We experienced perfect shooting alignment even from a distance. Best of all, the ball bounces as you expect and ideal for aggressive dribbles and ankle-break shots.
It’s true that Wilson has raised the basketball standards for performance with the innovations in the Wilson NCAA official basketball. It is one of the most favorite indoor basketballs among rookies and professionals. The ball has received the most rating of the performance due to exceptional grip, and it is because of the moisture-absorbing cover.
After multiple plays on different courts, we found this ball has the ideal bounce, the perfect weight, optimum grip and proven durability. Usually, moisture-wicking basketballs cost a fortune. However, Wilson made this ball with high-quality material and you will not pay a massive price. Play with the Wilson NCAA official game basketball and the ball will no longer roll in your hand.
- The cover is made with the best quality moisture-absorbing composite leather for ultimate grip in sweaty conditions
- Aqua-grip laid in pebbled channels provide supreme control over the ball
- Cushion Core Carcass technology makes the ball easier to grip
- Exceptionally soft feel due to low-density sponge rubber and ultra-durable butyl rubber
- Never flat due to internal air retention technology – ideal inflation level: 7 -9 PSI
- Microfiber channels provide optimum bounce throughout the game
A sweaty hand is one of the main reasons for poor performance. Obviously, if you do not have a solid grip on the ball, throws will not be accurate. Hats off to Wilson, this ball has moisture absorbing cover that provides unparalleled grip while dribbling and shooting. John Nato says, “I’m a distance hooper and Wilson NCAA official basketball never disappointed – always found it reaching the point where I expected it to”.
You might have never heard of the Rock basketball as I did, but it is an incredible indoor ball and highly praised and approved by NFHS. The ball is produced by a non-famous private manufacturing company "Anaconda Sports". Believe me; The Rock basketball does not perform less than a myth.
In case you might be asking yourself that I have never seen this ball, the ball is surprisingly good and performs amazingly on indoor courts. In addition, I have found new users of this basketball liking it immediately after hooping a few goals with it. Indeed the rock basketball is used for most American indoor basketball games.
- The ball comes in official size 29.5 inches and approved by NFHS
- It holds the air pressure even on aggressive plays
- Best of all, the grip is the distinguishing quality of the rock
- In addition, pebbled channels provide consistent grip all-over
- Ideal responsive bounce and it does not feel too flat or too bouncy
- The wide pebbled channels are made of composite leather instead of rubber
- Super tacky and sweat absorbent to offer better control
If you are looking for a good indoor basketball that has optimum grip and tacky feel, indeed the rock basketball is a top choice. Therefore I recommend you to try this non-famous basketball designed by John Stote. Certainly, it draws the attention of other basketball players in the indoor courts. In particular, Rock basketball performs great on hardwood courts.
Amazon User Review:
One of the Rock basketball buyers from Amazon "Robbyho" says, "The Rock has a cushion, almost spongy feel with deep channels. This gives it a very secure feel in your hands. That I think is what really separates The Rock from other balls, that when you hold it, there is no feeling of it slipping loose.
When you catch it, you can go up with your shot without having to readjust because the ball slides in your hands. It doesn't get overly slick or retain moisture. Certainly, it stays dryer than an Evo, similar to the Baden Element. The Rock is great overall and I would not hesitate to buy more of them when the time comes".
Read a complete overview and detailed features of The Rock Basketball.
Spalding TF-1000 is a legendary basketball that most athletes, even NBA players can associate their memories with. This renowned ball has returned with “Classic” branding. It is NFHS approved and has become the Official game ball of many schools and college tournaments in California, Idaho and North Dakota.
The TF-1000 has ZK microfiber exclusively engineered for this classic basketball. This composite material enhances the ball’s performance on indoor courts and ensures durability. Its deep wide channels allow sweat to drain out quicker for a firmer grip. As a result, you’ll be able to hold the ball easier without slipping.
- 100% USA made original basketball exclusively designed with ZK composite materials for a dry tacky feel
- Rotatory balanced butyl bladder ensures the air retention to offer consistent bounce
- Deep wide channels help in the effortless grip
- 100% Nylon windings for ultimate texture and excellent structural
- The composite covers turn softer as you play – especially designed for indoor basketball
Read tested reviews of the Spalding TF-1000 Classic ZK on indoor courts.
Molten introduced new BG-Series basketball with an improved two-toned design. The Molten BG3800 basketball is showcased as the Official game ball of the FIBA Basketball World Cups and valid through 2023. The ball feels completely different than its previous model due to the textured leather finish. Molten eliminated the traditional pebbled design with inlaid pebbled to improve the grip of the ball.
We experienced super quality grip due to the latest innovative technology. The surface offers good control over the ball even when your palms are sweaty or moistened. We would recommend beginners to practice with Molten BG3800 basketball on indoor courts to compete for championships.
- Good quality soft synthetic leather cover – looks premium
- Increased surface area for improved grip on the basketball
- Moisture-wicking surface to ensure maximum grip and control
- 2-tones design with Official 12 laid-in panels
- Superior quality Butyl bladder to hold the air pressure to provide optimum bounce throughout the game
- The new color combination of infill panels for improved visibility, easy to track ball’s movement in the court
- Available in Official size 7, and size 6
Without a second thought, this is a great basketball for beginners and for intermediates to practice for tournament games. The FIBA approved Official game ball is available at $30, an awesome deal to avail. We have found BG3800 better in terms of grip and control while dribbling and bank shots. Also, it performed accurately for long bounce passes.
Here are the reasons why you should get a basketball hoop.
Especially manufactured for precision and designed for elite players of all ages. This Spalding indoor basketball has deep channels that offer a good grip and natural feel. In particular, basketball stands out and easy to trace due to its light color.
As we all have heard Spalding produces the best indoor outdoor basketballs, the precision ball is unique amongst all. The ball is especially awesome due to the combination of Eco-Grip composite cover and rotationally balanced butyl bladder. Moreover, the ball feels comparatively soft and ideal handling while dribbling. The recommended air pressure for optimum performance is 8 PSI.
- Eco-Grip composite cover is made from recycled materials and delivers a soft feel, provides reliable control and game-ready grip
- Design is approved by NFHS (National Federation of State High School Association) adopted ball for Maryland Basketball
- The official basketball of the Spalding Hoophall Classic and AAU (Amateur Athletic Union)
- Performs excellent, nylon windings provide amazing structural nobility
- High-end air retention due to rotationally balanced butyl bladder
- Deep channels provide a natural feel and promote accurate shooting
- Available in official size 7 – 29.5 inches (suitable for professional athletes), and size 6 – 28.5 inches (ideal for 12+ years females, and boys ages from 12 to 14 years)
No doubt the Spalding Precision basketball is a good choice for indoor games. You might have heard of Spalding TF-1000 as a good indoor basketball, however, I prefer Precision due to its performance and superior control. Not only it is a favorite of professional players but also approved by NFHS. I strongly recommend you shoot a couple of hoops with this amazing basketball. A few dribbles will be enough to change your perception.
Amazon User Review:
A Spalding Precision user "Jason Young" from Amazon says, "Great indoor ball. Breaks in nicely. I play 1-3 times a week and the ball has held up great after 4 months of use. Deep channels (probably the deepest I've felt) and tacky grip. It seems slightly smaller than the average size 7 (29.5) ball but that could be because of the deep channels. Moreover, it maintains air great and has not inflated after I put air in it the first time. Responsive bounce, handing is good, this is definitely a shoots ball. I highly recommend".
Read a complete overview and detailed features of Spalding Precision Indoor Basketball.
Molten is the official manufacturer and supplier of basketball at international FIBA competitions including the Olympic Games. The signature Giugiaro 12-panel design of Molten is one of the top ball designs. Also, the designer is striving to integrate uniqueness and beauty into his work. Not only it is a great-looking ball but also performs really well.
Furthermore, the refined color contrast has improved its visibility. As a result, players can view the ball's movement and monitor its rotation to master the skills. The uniform pebble surface of Molten X-Series provides an amazingly consistent grip. Moreover, it helps with superior control over the ball and accurate passing and shooting.
- Officially FIBA approved game basketball
- Superior grip due to 12-Panel design and improved feel of the surface
- One of the most durable and best composite leather almost feels like real leather
- The ball has great visibility, therefore, it is easy to track its motion
- Extremely tacky and perfect for shooting indoor hoops
- Tactically aligned pebble to provide consistent grip and easy to control no matter where you hold the ball
Indeed the Molten X-Series has an awesome design and innovative Butyl bladder technology. Moreover, the FIBA approved GG7X has a solid grip and perfectly suitable for indoor basketball courts. So, if you are in search of the best affordable basketball for indoor plays. You will not be disappointed with Molten X-Series composite basketball.
Read detailed features of Mini Basketball Hoops.
Highest Rated Indoor Basketballs of 2022
Best Indoor Basketball: Buying Guide
You are not the first one to wonder how to find a good quality indoor basketball, almost every basketball player has felt this trouble. Finding the right basketball is a time taking and boring task. Therefore, I have narrowed down the list for your ease, pick anyone and you'll not be disappointed by its performance.
There are hundreds of basketballs out in the market and everyone claims to be the best for indoor games. To perform well in the game, you should have the right ball in your hand which has a good grip, comfortable feel and ideal bounce. Therefore, I have listed the main characteristics you should consider before buying an indoor ball.
Indoor basketballs are generally designed considering high-quality material and made from either full-grain genuine leather or the finest composite leather. The reason behind choosing premium quality material is that it provides a good grip and feels quite comfortable with the palm. However, softer material takes time in wearing out.
On the other hand, outdoor basketballs are designed to withstand hard surfaces. Therefore, they are made of rubber or hard composite leather. As a result, outdoor basketballs have slightly lesser grip as compared to indoor basketballs. Moreover, they do not need to wear out and you can use them right out of the box.
Certainly, I'll recommend you go for genuine leather or fine composite leather basketball. These are good choices if you are purchasing particularly for indoor games.
Everyone loves to hoop a basketball no matter what the age is. Therefore, the basketball comes in different sizes to accommodate all ages and facilitate every hand. Below is a complete guide of size, weight, and circumference to facilitate every hand;
|Size 7||22 oz||29.5"|
|Size 6||20 oz||28.5"|
|Size 5||17 oz||27.5"|
|Size 4||14 oz||25.5"|
|Size 3||10 oz||22"|
Do consider and feel the depth of grooves and also notice the width of pebbled channels. Indeed you will find a significant difference in the grip while shooting free throws. Right grooves are essential because they provide additional grip to the fingertips. A good basketball is tacky and does not feel slippery.
A few of the basketball has moisture-absorbing technology which reduces the slipperiness of the ball. As a result, the surface of the ball stays dry and you will have complete control over the ball. Sweaty hands can spoil affect the grip and the ball will slide away from your hands quite often.
Read about best outdoor basketball shoes, they provide great support and stability on the ground.
Professional players will second my words that bounce is the most important feature in a basketball. A ball should have a consistent bounce that you can rely on. Therefore, the smoother the surface of the ball is, the basketball will have a good bounce rate.
At the same time, grooves also make a significant difference in the bounce. Not only deep grooves help with shooting, but also they can be hurdles while dribbling because of unreliable bounce.
The ability to retain air pressure is an essential part of a basketball that relies on the bladder. I've tried some balls and they're not that good, but I found them poor at retaining air retention. The pressure of these balls was just too ridiculously low, which caused them to lose their bounce almost immediately after a few days.
We recommend dribbling a ball for a few minutes and measuring its PSI before and after. Also, notice the consistency of the bounce. Butyl bladder is known for keeping the air retention at the ideal pressure for long.
How to Take Care of Indoor Basketballs?
It is important for you to take care of your indoor basketball so that it may last longer. One way you can maintain its durability is by cleaning it periodically – here’s a complete guide to clean a basketball.
If your ball is still relatively new, you can check its manufacturer's website for how to take care of an indoor basketball. If the site has no instruction page about it, follow my tips below:
- Use the indoor basketball only on indoor courts, never use it on outside asphalt surfaces – it will damage the ball
- Never inflate beyond maximum pressure printed on top of the ball because over-inflation could cause more wear and tear than under-inflation or deflated state of the ball
- Clean the basketball properly before playing and storing after the game finishes to prevent the dirt from making a home in the grooves
- Do not keep it in places exposed to very high heat and cold weather elements; store it in a dry and cool place
- Do not store it in any container because moisture could form inside due to temperature changes. Keep the ball away from direct sun exposure; store it out of sight
- Perform periodic cleaning process to keep the basketball clean and ensure the long life
- Do not perform strong and rough dribbles on a new basketball, let it have some break-in time to reach optimum performance
Of course, hundreds of basketballs are available in the market, and indeed it is difficult to choose. However, you can pick any ball from our selection, you will never be disappointed with the performance. Our first choice of the best indoor basketball is the Spalding NBA Game Ball. It offers a great feel and unbeatable performance over indoor courts.
On the other hand, the Wilson Evolution is also a top rated indoor basketball if affordability is an issue. The ball is a great value for the money. Wilson Evolution has proclaimed the title of the champion of the indoor basketball.
We experienced Baden Elite a good basketball on indoor courts, delivering prime performance and great defense on hardwood courts. Moreover, it is available at a very affordable price comparatively at a cheaper rate than other indoor basketballs.
Confused about which is better basketball? Read Comparison of Spalding vs Wilson.
Before anyone suggests you purchase an indoor basketball, check out my compiled list and briefed reviews including buying guide. Make sure to read about each ball and its aspects before making a decision.
Frequently Asked Questions: (FAQs)
What is the best indoor basketball?
Wilson Evolution Basketball is the best indoor basketball. A list of best indoor basketballs is below;
- Wilson Evolution Game Basketball
- Baden Elite Indoor Game Basketball
- The Rock Indoor Basketball
- Spalding Precision Indoor Basketball
- Molten X-Series Composite Basketball, FIBA Approved BGGX
What is the best indoor outdoor basketball?
Molten X-Series Indoor/Outdoor Basketball FIBA Approved is the best indoor outdoor basketball. This ball is a perfect choice in terms of feel and grip. Furthermore, the bounce has an ideal grip and designed to withstand indoor and outdoor surfaces.
What basketball does NBA use?
The NBA uses Spalding NBA Official Game Basketball and it has been the official NBA game ball since 1983. This indoor basketball is designed with a full-grain genuine leather cover that provides incredible touch and feels. This ball is iconic for ultimate performance and has set the basketball standards quite high.
Which basketball is better Wilson or Spalding?
You should choose a basketball that suits you. Spalding basketballs are great and official ball of the NBA. On the other hand, Wilson basketball is the official ball of the NCAA. Both have a slight little difference in performance but it varies from player to player. Some prefer Spalding and some players choose Wilson. So, if you are keen on great feel and performance, go for Wilson. Otherwise, if you want to purchase a ball for indoor and outdoor plays, go for Spalding, they are more durable.
What is the most expensive basketball?
The Spalding NBA Official Game Basketball is by far the most expensive basketball in the market. It is because the ball is made of the finest quality, full-grain genuine Horween leather.
- How to Become NBA Referee – Official Ref Requirements/Salary - February 22, 2022
- Muggsy Bogues Dunk – Shortest Player Could Actually Dunk? - February 14, 2022
- How to Palm a Basketball – Exercises to Hold with Better Grip - February 13, 2022