Back in the 1970s, 80s, and 90s, players and coaches never really thought of measuring the NBA Players Wingspan. However, now it has become one of the most significant measurements in professional basketball games. Along with the height, length, and stretch of the arms are considered to be important since the last decade.
Calculating wingspan is quite easy, just like an airplane or a bird, stretch your arms and measure from fingertips of one hand to the fingertips of the other. Best of all, short guys used to consider a little useless in basketball game. But, if they have good wingspan and can jump higher, they perform even better than taller athletes because of their speed.
Importance of NBA Players Wingspan:
As I have mentioned above, wingspan in basketball is getting recognized lately due to its importance in the game. It really helps players in blocking the shot and holding the opponents from getting to the rim.
Basketball coaches appreciate players with long arms due to their ability to easily grab rebounds and steal passes. Moreover, they can block shots and shoot over defenders. Therefore, a bigger wingspan is always helping players whether it is deflection, defense, or blocking shots.
Another well-known term for wingspan is the ape index which is known as the ratio of arm span to height of a person.
Wingspan of Popular Players in NBA
- LeBron James Wingspan – Wingspan of LeBron James is 7 feet and he is 6 feet 9 inches tall. This wingspan is not extraordinary, just normal according to the height.
- Michael Jordan Wingspan – Michael Jordan is 6 feet 6 inches tall and his wingspan is 6 feet 11 inches.
- Anthony Davis Wingspan – in case you might be wondering how tall is Anthony Davis? Anthony is 6 feet 10 inches and his wingspan is 7 feet 6 inches which is considered to be a huge wingspan for that height.
- Manute Bol Wingspan – Manute Bol wingspan is 8 feet 6 inches (wow) and he is 7 feet 7 inches tall. He is one of the tallest players in the history of the National Basketball Association (NBA).
- Kawhi Leonard Wingspan – Kawhi Leonard Wingspan is 7 feet 3 inches and he is 6 feet 7 inches tall.
- Kevin Durant Wingspan – Kevin Durant Wingspan is 7 feet 10 inches and he is 6 feet 10 inches tall.
- Stephen Curry Wingspan – New superstar of NBA, Stephen Curry wingspan is 6 feet 4 inches and he is 6 feet 3 inches tall.
- Zion Williamson Wingspan – Zion Williamson wingspan is 6 feet 10 inches and he is 6 feet 6 inches tall.
- Tacko Fall Wingspan – Another NBA player to have such a large wingspan. Tacko Fall wingspan is 8 feet 4 inches and he is 7 feet 5 inches tall.
- Jimmy Butler Wingspan – Would you like to know Jimmy Butler height? He is 6 feet 7 inches tall and the wingspan is almost the same, 6 feet 8 inches.
Statement of Steve Kerr:
Some of the best players Steve Kerr had incredible reach, Kerr said, “It’s legit. It’s much more important than your height,” Kerr said. “If your wingspan is more than your height, that’s kind of abnormal. Most of us have the same wingspan as our height. That’s kind of a rule of thumb. A lot of basketball players don’t, though, they have wider wingspans. And they’re able to get their hands on balls or shots or loose balls, I’m a big believer in that”.
As we all desire to play like NBA professional players, but mostly hesitate to participate in school or college leagues. Therefore, I would recommend to get a portable basketball hoop and practice dribbling and dunking skills in the backyard.
On the other hand, if you are a basketball fanatic and desire to explore outdoor basketball courts in the world, read out before you choose any destination. Pack your Spalding or Wilson ball and make sure to carry the right basketball for concrete courts.
Frequently Asked Questions: (FAQs)