Last Updated February 26, 2024 Last Updated February 21, 2024 by Brian Aquino
Basketball players often get injuries because of the nature of the sport. It requires a lot of landing and quick moves in multiple directions and the whole body weight works on your feet. Therefore, athletes require the best basketball shoes for ankle support in 2024 to prevent them from ankle sprains. Good supportive shoes and ankle brace can minimize the risk of injuries and protect your ankles from twisting and spraining.
On the other hand, the basketball game requires a lot of jumping, thus the ankles are under stress the whole time. It is common to land on an opponent’s toe while a rebound and fall on the ground holding your ankles. Even if your ankles are strong, they can still be injured by involving risky movements. However, high-quality ankle support basketball shoes will increase stability and enhance protection from injuries.
Read a brief guide to buy the best outdoor basketball.
Note: It is a common concept that only high top shoes provide ankle support. However, after some tests and consulting with professional athletes, we have concluded that low top best basketball shoes also provide good ankle support. Each product deeply reviewed and tested my professional athletes. They provide a perfect position while landing by stabilizing your ankles.
Table of Content
- Best Basketball Shoes for Ankle Support – Top 8 Shoes for Week Ankles
- 1. Nike Air Jordan XXXIV
- 2. Jordan Men's 6 Rings Basketball Shoes 322992-012
- 3. Adidas Men's Dame 5
- 4. Nike Air Jordan 1 Mid SE Basketball Shoe
- 5. Under Armour Curry 7
- 6. Nike AIR MAX Pillar Neutral Grey 525226-001
- 7. Nike Men's Giannis Immortality White/Metallic Gold-Black (CZ4099 100)
- 8. LI-NING Power VII
- Important Factors of Ankle Support Basketball Shoes
- Final Verdict
Best Basketball Shoes for Ankle Support – Top 8 Shoes for Week Ankles
Here is a list of top rated 8 best basketball shoes for ankle support in 2024, these supportive high top shoes are good for athletes who have weak ankles;
|Ankle Support Shoes
|Nike Air Jordan XXXIV
|Lightweight Basketball Shoes
|Jordan Men's 6 Rings Basketball Shoes 322992-012
|Durable Basketball Shoes for Versatile Performance
|adidas Men's Dame 5
|Basketball Shoes for Grip
|Nike Air Jordan 1 Mid SE Basketball Shoe
|Best Shoes For Basketball
|Under Armour Curry 7
|Shoes For Weak Ankles
|Nike AIR MAX Pillar Neutral Grey 525226-001
|Basketball Shoes That Fit Well
|Nike Men's Giannis Immortality White/Metallic Gold-Black (CZ4099 100)
|Basketball Shoes with Extreme Comfort
|LI-NING Power VII
|Shock Absorbing Ankle Support Shoes
The Air Jordan XXXIV is a new addition to the iconic Nike shoe series by keeping its cultural legacy. These shoes are lightweight and very responsive. This pair is especially sculpted with aerodynamic precision and combines with a distinctive midsole. Most of its weight is because of the thick bottom, the top of the shoe is minimal to keep it comfortable for players. Additionally, the stability is good because of the flat outsole, it doesn’t role at all and provides a super stable plate. You may notice the material is not the premium quality, but it is flexible, breathable, and durable.
Surprise your boyfriend or husband with this pair of shoes as a basketball gift.
- The covering plate is made of molded TPU that offers strong stability
- Eclipse plate also provides great support during side-to-side movements for easy crossover
- The sole is hollowed that allows you to see inside the sole and it helps to reduce the overall weight
- Springy and responsive visible Zoom Air cushioning under the forefoot and heel, the responsiveness gets renew with every step.
- Multidirectional traction along with herringbone outsole provides a solid grip on the ground while running fast on concrete or hard wooden floor
- No fancy, traditional tongue
- Standard lacing system offers a true second-skin-like fit and provides the perfect lockdown straight out of the box
Read features of the Best Basketball Shoes for Jumping.
The Jordan Men's 6 Rings Basketball Shoes were designed to provide versatile performance and premium comfort on the court. They are made with a full-grain leather upper for durability and a smooth feel, plus perforations for breathability. The shoes have strategically placed rubber pods in high-wear areas for traction and durability, and they are finished with Jumpman logos for signature style. Whether playing a pickup game or hanging out with friends, these shoes will keep you looking at your best.
- The Jordan Men’s 6 Rings Basketball Shoes are 100% authentic, so that you can be sure of their quality and design. They feature a rubber sole and high-quality craftsmanship for maximum performance on the court.
- The shoes come in sizes ranging from 8 to 12, so you can find the perfect fit for your foot.
- They are made from high-quality materials and maintain their durability on the court. They feature a rubber sole for added traction and grip during gameplay.
- The shoes come in two classic colors – black and university red-white- and feature iconic Jordan branding, making them an instant must-have for any basketball fan.
- It provides maximum comfort while playing or just rocking out with friends thanks to its lightweight design and cushioning system that provides extra shock absorption no matter what surface you’re playing on.
- Despite its premium quality, the Jordan Men’s 6 Rings Basketball Shoes are surprisingly affordable, making it an excellent choice for novice players just starting.
Adidas Dame 5 shoes are designed with Damian Lillard’s signature style and made to play fresh out of the box. These low-top basketball shoes are made with textile breathable upper and flexible cushions keeping them lightweight and comfortable. Additionally, the cushion is responsive and supports every step-back jumper. The herringbone outsole allows you to change directions even on aggressive moves. Furthermore, the additional internal pods provide exceptional comfort. And, the midfoot banking barrier offers stability while changing directions quickly.
- Simplified yet consistent traction pattern herringbone offers a solid grip on the ground. It may need occasional wiping on dusty courts
- Adidas Dame 5 has a balanced cushioning system that provides a bounce-back response
- The laces hold your foot and provide a perfect fit, preventing heel slipping and side to side movements. Moreover, the shoe is good and protect your toe from banging
- Additional heel pillows for comfort
- The mesh top is breathable and provides dryness throughout the play
- Flexible and responsive support from the internal heel counter
Read about recommended basketball size for different age and gender.
The Air Jordan 1 Mid SE has the appeal of the first AJ which was released in 1985. This timeless design is revamped with fresh colors to maintain its appeal. This shoe is not only good for sports but the fashion look makes it wearable as routine sneakers. In particular, the lightweight Air-Sole component is a mixer of a natural and composite material providing its traditional look. This shoe’s design is inspired by the first Air Jordan, which later became a brand. Nike has paid extra attention to its durability while maintaining its iconic look.
- Lightweight shoes with classic iconic look and heel collar
- Especially designed with mixed material such as genuine and composite leather along with textile
- Air-Sole cushioning unit in the heel provides great comfort
- The mid-top collar is padded for a cozy feel
- Available in various color combinations for vibrancy and uniqueness
- Nike Air Jordan 1 Mid SE has the best traction and it applies to both indoor and outdoor courts
As we all know Stephen Curry was a 3-star recruit and now a three times world champion because of his great controlling performance. Under Armour Curry basketball shoes are especially designed for his style of play. The manufacturer put extra effort into making it stable, quick responsive, and rigid on the ground. Not only they are good for basketball but also the best shoes for weak ankles. Best of all, this pair has the best traction setups until now and the best shoe for basketball players.
- Strong stability, comfort, and easy mobility because of translucent layering in the upper part of the shoe
- The shoe is manufactured with synthetic leather TPU skins and mesh to increase comfort
- There is foam padding in the heel and collar for a luxurious feel
- The Curry 7 shoes feel cozy and firm because of the internal counter lining
- Under Armour HOVR™ responsive technology provides extra power with every step
- Additional Micro G® cushioning adds comfort and reduce explosive power
- Each step feels stable because of a supportive flexible plate
- Separate heel for natural movement and to assist with stabilizing the feet
- The shoe has dynamic traction and maximum floor grip and control due to radial circular plus herringbone pattern and rubber outsole
The Nike AIR MAX Pillar Neutral Grey is a comfortable and stylish basketball shoe. It fits well and is perfect for everyday use. The neutral grey color is versatile and will go with just about anything. The AIR MAX cushioning makes it an excellent choice for athletes or anyone who wants added comfort. The shoe also features a lightweight and breathable upper that provides extra durability. The sleek design looks great on or off the court, which makes it perfect for any occasion. All in all, the Nike AIR MAX Pillar Neutral Grey is the ideal choice for anyone looking for a high-quality basketball shoe that offers both style and comfort. It's sure to become one of your favorites!
- The upper has a padded collar and tongue, as well as cushioning in the heel and forefoot for extra comfort
- Made from a combination of mesh and synthetic materials for improved breathability and durability, the outsole is constructed with rubber for enhanced traction
- Attractive modern design with bold colors and unique accents make it stand out from the rest
- It also features Nike’s signature Swoosh logo on the sides for added style points
- An ideal choice for outdoor activities such as basketball or running on hard court surfaces or recreational activities such as hiking or walking on wet surfaces like beach sand or grass fields
- Provide ventilation to help keep your feet cool during strenuous activity while providing maximum support needed to stay safe while performing the exercise
The Nike Men's Giannis Immortality is a basketball shoe built to provide extreme comfort on the court. The shape of the sole at the heel is designed for optimal cushioning every time your heel strikes the ground, while the rubber sole ensures you have a good grip. The shoe's upper part is made with mesh and synthetic materials to keep your feet cool and dry, and it has a unique, stylish look that will make you stand out on the court. The shoe is available in a range of sizes, from 7 to 14. The color options include White/Metallic Gold-Black and Arctic Orange/Medium Blue. This basketball sneaker also offers a lightweight design, making it perfect for players who want to be agile and light on their feet. With its superior cushioning and stylish look, the Nike Men's Giannis Immortality White/Metallic Gold-Black is perfect for players looking for an unbeatable combination of comfort and style.
- The pair has a rubber sole designed for optimal cushioning whenever your heel strikes the court
- Ensures maximum comfort and performance, even during intense activities such as basketball games or running
- The shoe fits true to size, so you don’t have to worry about purchasing bigger or smaller sizes than usual
- The shoe comes in an eye-catching White/Metallic Gold-black color combination that allows you to stand out on the court
- Many reviews praise its extreme comfort, perfect fit, and excellent eye appeal
- Optimal cushioning at the heel for maximum impact absorption when jumping or running on court surfaces
Li-ning may not be a world-famous brand but their Power and Wade series is competing with the top shoe brands. The Power VII has a multi-layered upper structure that provides maximum support to the complete foot. We liked its full-length cloud cushioning, it is perfect for shock-absorbing while hard landings. Furthermore, the stabilizing device embedded in the midsole arch provides proper support and improved stability. Particularly, the light-foam midsole technology keeps the weight significantly low without putting too much pressure on the ankle.
- Li-Ning power VII features full-length cloud cushioning made of unique polymer material, perfect to store and release energy while takeoffs
- Densely woven mesh toe top and composite large area reduces the chances of injuries while powerful movements
- The Li-Ning Bounse+ technology makes the shoe resistant to compression and its flexibility makes it ideal for vertical jumps
- Rubber outsole with a strong anti-skid traction pattern makes this pair skid and wear-resistant
- Double layer shoelace binding with traditional soft mesh tongue and padded high-collar for good ankle support
Important Factors of Ankle Support Basketball Shoes
Basketball is a fast game and players intend to move quickly in every direction. It is essential to have supportive shoes for speedy swifts and hasty side-way movements. Moreover, this sport requires a lot of jumping, thus, it is recommended to wear good ankle support shoes to protect ankles from twisting while landing.
Warning: Do not purchase flat shoes if you have weak ankles, you’ll be screaming by the end of the day, and chances of getting a serious injury.
In case you might be asking yourself what features you should consider while purchasing the best ankle support shoes, consider the following factors;
It is necessary to improve foot positioning for proper protection. A supportive outsole forces the foot to stay in the right position. Furthermore, it enhances the arch support and helps with easy movements without putting too much pressure on the ankles.
Cushions absorb shocks and provide protection from landing impacts. A shoe with good midsole cushioning sucks up the hard jumping effects without causing inflammation in the ankles and offers a comfortable bed to foot.
Shoes must not be too tight or too loose. Perfect fit shoes offer good stability while moving and landing. Your foot must not move inside the shoe otherwise your focus will be on balancing the foot. For that, you will be straining ankles to keep your foot in place.
Slippery and skiddy shoes are the foremost reason for weak ankles because they put too much pressure on the Achilles Tendon. The best basketball shoes for ankle support should have solid, anti-skid traction for solid ground grip.
High Top vs. Low Top Basketball Shoes - Main Differences
High-top shoes are most supportive and good for ankle protection, as long as they feel comfortable!
Basketball shoes with great ankle support can prevent basketball players from terrific injuries. On the other hand, shoes without ankle support can cause temporary or serious injury that can put a pause in an athlete’s carrier. Therefore, it is recommended and advised to use the best basketball shoes for ankle support in 2024 to obtain maximum support around the ankle. As a result, there will be the last chance to get any serious injury.
Although there are hundreds of shoes that claim to provide good ankle support, most of them do not deliver what they promise. However, we have provided you with detailed reviews of the best shoes for ankle support after testing them while performing several vertical jumps. Check out how high do you need to jump to perfectly dunk a basketball with Dunk Calculator.
Nike manufactures good shoes that provide good support around the ankles. We highly recommend using Nike Air Jordan XXXIV, this pair has awesome impact protection and best for ankle support.
Our second recommendation is the Under Armour Curry 7, lightweight with soft responsive cushioning. You will not be disappointed if you have weak ankles and expect to get ankle injuries easily.
Lastly, Nike Men's Giannis Immortality White/Metallic Gold-Black (CZ4099 100) shoes have strong midsole cushioning, fit true to size and solid traction make it good high-top ankle support basketball shoes.
Always wear knee sleeves for protection and support while playing basketball.
Frequently Asked Questions: (FAQs)
What basketball shoes have the best ankle support?
Nike Air Jordan XXXIV basketball shoes have the best ankle support. A list of basketball shoes with ankle support is below;
- Nike Air Jordan XXXIV
- Nike LeBron Soldier XIII SFG
- adidas Men's Dame 5
- Nike Air Jordan 1 Mid SE Basketball Shoe
- Under Armour Curry 7
- Nike Air Maestro II Limited Basketball Shoes
- Nike Kyrie 6 Basketball Trainers Shoes
- LI-NING Power VII
Are high top shoes better for basketball?
Yes, high top shoes are better for basketball players because they protect ankles from twisting. Basketball athletes intend to move quickly and have more chances of twisting ankles. However, high top shoes fit around the ankles and provide great support.
Are basketball shoes good for ankle support?
Yes, mostly the basketball shoes have a high top and fit perfectly. These shoes are especially designed to provide great comfort, that's why they are best for ankle support while performing quick moves in sports.
Do NBA players tape their ankles?
Most of the time NBA players tape their ankles to protect them from getting ankle injuries. Basketball sports require quick low moves that have most of the stress on the ankles and they intend to get strains. Therefore, NBA players tape their ankles to protect them from getting injured.
Do high top basketball shoes prevent ankle sprains?
Yes, indeed! High top basketball shoes provide maximum support and prevent ankle sprains. The best advice is to make your muscles strong around the ankle. However, if they are weak or your sport requires quick low movements, then high top shoes will be the best option to prevent ankle sprains.