Last Updated by Edward Pullen
Basketball game requires fast footwork and quick moves, that’s why athletes cannot afford to lose grip on the court. You need to have the best traction basketball shoes to beat your opponent. The right shoes with a strong grip can make all the difference in winning or losing a competition. Here, we’ll review top quality basketball shoes with strong traction that you can buy in 2022.
In my own experience, I’ve found grip vital in preventing slippage during quick movements. A player must have strong control on the court while sudden turns and stop-and-go. In addition, good traction is also important when running up and down on a court with heavy sweat. Best traction sneakers help you maintain your balance when you speed, cross over, or cut during the basketball game.
One of the fastest NBA players – Russell Westbrook says, “When you lose grip on the court – you lose the game. The effortless traction improves performance and makes a huge difference in the game.” So, we recommend wearing the most durable basketball shoes that won’t let you slip on dusty courts.
Table of Content
Best Traction Basketball Shoes – Good for Dusty Courts
After testing dozens of top rated basketball shoes on indoor and outdoor courts, we have compiled a list of 7 the best basketball shoes with a strong grip. These shoes have powerful traction and suitable for dusty courts; however, they may not be effective on wet surfaces.
|No.||Basketball Traction Shoes||Quality||Price|
|1||Nike Kobe 6||Best Traction Basketball Shoes|
|2||Nike KD 14||Strong Traction Shoes for Indoor and Outdoor|
|3||Under Armour Curry 8||Best Performance Shoes with Traction|
|4||Nike Cosmic Unity||Deep Traction Bites for Court Grip|
|5||Under Armour Hovr Havoc 3||Best Traction Shoes with Ankle Support|
|6||Nike KD Trey 5 VIII||Affordable Traction Shoes for Dusty Courts|
The Nike Kobe 6 Protro was designed to support the fast footwork of a legendary player – Kobe Bryant. Indeed it is the best traction shoe that offers great grip with its translucent rubber outsole. Its unique traction pattern provides excellent grip on multiple surfaces. The cushioning system is also responsive and allows you to make quick moves on the court.
We admire its Micromesh upper that comfortably closes the foot and provides good support for aggressive moves on the court. The unique circular-alike traction pattern helps in stop and sudden moves in all directions.
- Unique circular traction pattern with deep bites offer good court grip and prevent slippage over aggressive moves
- Micromesh breathable upper enhances the comfort
- The full-length cushioning offers a luxurious feel while the Zoom Turbo unit in the forefoot ensures responsiveness
- Nike Zoom unit in the signature heel cup provides maximum heel protection from impacts
- Soft mesh tongue offers comfort while the lacing system holds the foot tight
2. Nike KD 14
The Nike KD 14 was especially made to honor one of the best players in the league - Kevin Durant. It comes with a synthetic mesh upper, responsive midsole cushioning system and solid rubber outsole to provide strong grip even on the dusty court. The shoe has a distinctive traction pattern that prevents slippage on indoor and outdoor basketball courts.
Although this basketball shoe is not as light as other best performance shoes, yet its high-top style provides great ankle support during dynamic movements on the court. It features an external heel counter for protection against impact forces due to jumping or hard cutting. The solid rubber outsole gives deep bites into the floor surface that improves the gripping effectiveness over other shoes.
See which are the best outdoor basketballs in 2022.
- Solid rubber thick outsole with unique traction pattern ensures solid court grip
- Responsive midsole cushioning system with Zoom Strobel and special padding placed in key areas of the design
- Multilayer synthetic mesh upper that’s both flexible and breathable to enhance comfort
- External heel counter for ankle support and protection against landing impacts
- The strap over lacing system properly enclose the foot
Under Armour introduced the new UA Flow foam in UA Curry 8. This shoe has a highly responsive cushioning system that lets you play longer hours without compromising comfort or support. The UA Curry 8 features a synthetic mesh upper with micro-engineered textile material to give strength and durability to this basketball shoe. As far as the grip is concerned, we think the Curry 8 is one of the best traction basketball shoes.
It has a full-length Charged Cushioning unit in the forefoot combined with a solid rubber outsole for better stability, responsiveness and improved grip over dusty court surfaces. The rubber outsole is durable enough to last longer on outdoor courts. The heel of this shoe has additional padding which makes it more comfortable while playing aggressively.
UA Curry 8 is also one of the best basketball dunking shoes of 2022.
- The strong rubber outsole with a non-herringbone deep traction pattern really grips the ground like carbon rubber
- UA Flow cushioning offers a soft and cushy feel while maintaining stability and responsiveness
- The knit-build flexible upper enhances the breathability and comfort
- Plastic heel counter properly lock the foot in place
- Micro-engineered textile materials assure strength and longevity
Nike Cosmic Unity is a good outdoor basketball shoe made of 25% recycled materials. Its full-length rubber outsole with herringbone grooves provides a great grip to bounce around and move up and down on dusty surfaces. The Zoom Strobel cushioning setups provides balanced support with a sufficient court feel. Nike CU has a consistent grip on indoor and outdoor courts due to deep traction bites.
The upper part of this basketball shoe is made from textile material which makes it extremely durable, yet lightweight. It features an internal heel counter for lockdown fit which keeps feet firmly secure inside the shoe even if you take huge strides or sharp cuts on court. So, if you are looking for good traction basketball shoes with plush cushioning setup that still feels low to the ground, we recommend Nike Cosmic Unity.
- Thin, durable rubber outsole with deep herringbone traction bites provide consistent on-court grip
- Exclusively recycled material with top-notch cushioning setup and reliable containment
- The full-length Zoom Air Strobel cushioning in the midsole makes it super bouncy and responsive, also provide a sufficient amount of court feel
- The upper part is made of a mesh-like material that enhances ventilation and feels decently breathable to maintain comfort
- Tradition style lacing system and internal heel counter provides a lockdown fit
UA Hovr Havoc 3 is a great traction shoe that provides good ankle support to basketball players. The outsole has Topographical shape irregular traction bites that offer solid court grip. The Hovr cushioning setup is quite responsive and offers a sufficient amount of court feel. Its comfortable midsole protects feet from impacts of hard landings.
The basketball game requires agility moves and there’s a chance of hurting ankles while sudden stop-and-go. Here, Under Armour Havoc 3 holds the ankles tight to prevent them from snapping. If you are in the market to purchase good ankle support traction shoes, we recommend UA Hovr Havoc 3. This pair properly locks down the feet and prevents on-court slippage.
- Strong rubber outsole with irregular traction bites provide strong court grip
- Hovr cushioning technology for maximum court feel and explosive responsiveness
- The perforated textile-mesh material with holed-rubberized layer increased breathability and strength
- Heat molded fully rubberized heel cup to offer optimal heel and ankle protection
- Traditional lacing system with soft mesh tongue ensure comfort and proper locked-in fit
The KD Trey 5 VIII has an exceptional grip on indoor and outdoor courts. The outsole is made of solid rubber with a wavy traction pattern that provides multidirectional court control. Its dual-density midsole cushioning make these shoes soft and responsive. The premium quality knitted material offers great comfort to the feet.
We like its deep-wavy grooves that maximize the court grip. We tested this pair on dirty courts and found that it picked very little dust. The cushioning feels promising due to the Nike Renew dual-density foam. However, the material does not feel premium but still, it does the job pretty well.
- Solid rubber outsole with wavy grooves enhanced durability on outdoor courts while providing multidirectional grip
- The Nike Renew cushioning technology with dual-density foam midsole makes the show responsive and comfortable
- It features a perforated mid-high cut padded collar for a locked-in feel around the ankles
- The traditional style laces snug fit the feet comfortably
- A two-layered textile material makes the shoe lightweight and provides a broken-in feel right out of the box
Looking for a pair of affordable shoes? See which are the best cheap basketball shoes of 2022.
If you are looking for the best basketball shoes with a strong grip, then we recommend checking out some of the models mentioned above. All of these shoes offer great traction and solid court grip for dusty courts. However, we found their traction less effective on wet surfaces.
Our first choice is Nike Kobe 6 because of its unique traction pattern that provides a good grip on multiple surfaces. Our second recommendation is Nike KD 14 if the price is not an issue. Its responsive midsole and durable rubber outsole offer good traction for dusty courts. And, if you are low on a budget and still looking for the best traction basketball shoes, you will not go wrong with the Nike KD Trey 5 VIII – this pair is cheap and yet provides non-skid traction.
Get a basketball hoop for driveway and practice like a professional player in your home.
Frequently Asked Questions: (FAQs)
What are the best traction basketball shoes?
Nike Kobe 6 is the best traction basketball shoes. Here’s a list of the basketball shoes with best traction;
- Nike Kobe 6
- Nike KD 14
- Under Armour Curry 8
- Nike Cosmic Unity
- Under Armour Hovr Havoc 3
- Nike KD Trey 5 VIII
How can I make basketball shoes grippy?
You can make your basketball shoes grippy by taking good care of them. Never use every shoe on outdoor courts, all outsoles are not designed for hard surfaces. Always keep a clean cloth in your bag to continuously wiping the dust off the outsole to keep the traction grooves neat. We recommend cleaning your basketball shoes regularly to enhance their life.
How Often Should You Change Basketball Shoes?
Changing your basketball shoes depend on how frequently you wear them and your practice level. The professional basketball players change shoes after a few games. College and small league players change their shoes after a couple of months. Hence, it all depends on the performance and experience – and obviously the end results of the game.