If you love to hoop on outdoor courts and looking for the best outdoor basketball, we have professionally reviewed top-rated basketballs for concrete surfaces in 2022. These balls are exceptionally durable, pick up less dirt, moisture-wicking, and have a consistent performance on concrete courts. So, put on your favorite Basketball Shoes and gear up to dribble on outdoor courts with a good basketball.
No doubt basketball is one of the games that most athletes around the world enjoy playing. Whether you are playing basketball in school/college, indoor professional games, or out on the street, you need the right basketball. Good quality composite leather basketballs are long-lasting on a concrete surface and perform better on outdoor courts.
In my own experience, I have found that a hoop is the most essential for basketball to shoot into, the second important is the basketball itself. The outdoor game is quite challenging as compared to indoor basketball. And, believe me, it feels like crossing a milestone to find a good basketball for outdoor plays.
Selection Criteria: We selected these basketballs after testing their durability, performance on the outdoor courts, material, bounce, grip, moisture-wicking ability, and sizes. Also, there is a detailed buying guide to consider certain features before buying the right basketball.
See what are the awesome basketball gifts for athletes.
Table of Content
- Best Outdoor Basketball – 11 Top Rated Street Basketballs
- 1. Spalding NBA Zi/O Indoor-Outdoor Basketball
- 2. Spalding NBA Street Outdoor Basketball
- 3. Wilson Evolution Game Basketball
- 4. Spalding NBA Replica Indoor/Outdoor Game Ball
- 5. Wilson NCAA Replica Game Ball
- 6. Spalding NBA Varsity Multicolor Outdoor Basketball
- 7. Spalding Rookie Gear Indoor/Outdoor Composite 27.5 Youth Basketball
- 8. Molten X-Series Indoor/Outdoor Basketball, FIBA Approved BGMX
- 9. Mikasa BX1000 Premium Rubber Basketball
- 10. Spalding NBA Street Phantom
- 11. Wilson NBA Forge Plus
- Complete Guide to Buy Best Outdoor Basketball:
- Main Features of The Best Basketballs
- How to Take Care of Outdoor Basketball – Useful Tips
- Final Verdict
Best Outdoor Basketball – 11 Top Rated Street Basketballs
|1||Spalding Tack-Soft Indoor-Outdoor Basketball||Best for Indoor Outdoor Game|
|2||Spalding React TF-250 Indoor-Outdoor Basketball||Best Value for the Money|
|3||Wilson Evolution Game Basketball||Best Performance Basketball|
|4||Wilson NBA Authentic Heritage Basketball||Most Durable Basketball|
|5||Wilson Replica NCAA Game Basketball||Best Budget Basketball|
|6||Wilson NBA 75th Outdoor Basketball||Great Appearance Ball|
|7||Spalding Rookie Gear Indoor/Outdoor Composite||Beset Lightweight Basketball|
|8||Molten X-Series Indoor/Outdoor Basketball||Best Handling Basketball|
|9||Mikasa BX1000 Premium Rubber Basketball||Affordable Basketball|
|10||Spalding NBA Street Phantom||Soft Grip Outdoor Basketball|
|11||Wilson NBA Forge Plus||Authentic Indoor/Outdoor Basketball|
Spalding NBA Zi/O
- Consistent Bounce
- Composite Leather
- Suitable for Indoor & Outdoor Courts
- Official NBA Size & Weight
“Best for Indoor Outdoor Game”
As we all know the official Spalding brand produces high-quality durable basketballs for the NBA. One of its best products is Spalding NBA Zi/O Indoor-Outdoor Basketball; the official size is 7, 29.5 inches. We have chosen it as the best pick because of its versatility reviews by professional players.
The foam-back provides perfect bounce for dribbling and dodging either in the gym or outdoor concrete court. In addition, the composite cover offers a soft and tacky feel to the hand while you release it towards the net. Indeed, this ball is an excellent choice to save money due to its durability on both courts Indoor & Outdoor.
The fantastic key features of Spalding NBA Zi/O Indoor Outdoor basketball are as follows;
- Foam backing help with constant dribbling indoor and outdoor courts
- Comfortable, a soft and tacky feel due to the composite cover
- High-Quality Durable Basketball for durability, it is made to withstand outdoor tough concrete surface
- 30% Deep channels provide solid grip and better control over the basketball
- Available in Official NBA Size
Rating: 4.8 / 5
Read reviews and complete overview of Spalding NBA Zi/O Indoor Outdoor Basketball.
Being a basketball player throughout my entire life, I have found the Spalding NBA Zi/O the best outdoor basketball and perfect for indoor plays as well. Hence, if you love playing basketball and looking to better your dribbling and shooting skills, I sincerely recommend the Spalding NBA Zi/O. Moreover, the ball is durable and offers exceptional grip and ball handling. This is why I have chosen it to be the best outdoor basketball.
An Amazon user “R. Brown” says, “I wanted an outdoor basketball for casual use. After does some research this ball was one of the tops. It feels good in my hands which was my top requirement. Good deal and I would buy it again.”
Spalding NBA Zi/O Excel is an extended version and also a great basketball for indoor and outdoor courts. It offers precise ball handling – available in Official size and weight.
“Best Value for the Money”
Spalding NBA Street is the most selling ball online due to its value for the money. Therefore, I call this basketball an economy king because it is affordable and extremely durable. The size of the ball is 29.5 inches as equal to the official NBA ball. So, from a customer’s point of view, this is the best basketball and you will definitely notice the significant difference in the feel and grip.
In particular, the ball is well balanced with a steady flight path toward the net even though it is quite relatively cheaper than other outdoor basketballs. Moreover, the strong design and performance rubber cover allows you to dribble and shoot with confidence. In my own experience, I have found the ball performing better with air-pressure 8 PSI.
Best of all, it holds the air pressure for long and you will not need to re-inflate it every now and then. Also, it does not deflate when you leave it outdoor for long. Moreover, the NBA Street ball remains solid and efficient after many years of consistent use on irregular surfaces. The ball is available in official size 7, 29.5 inches; youth Size 5, 27.5 inches, and Intermediate Size 6, 28.5 inches.
Are you a basketball fan? Here’s the historical background – read when and why basketball was invented!
The amazing key features of Spalding NBA Street Outdoor Basketball are as follows;
- The most budget-friendly basketball, a perfect buy for the value of money
- Soft and Comfortable Feel to the palm due to Synthetic Rubber Cover
- The Pebbling offers Magnetic Grip for effortless Ball Handling
- The ball bounces very well with a consistent amount even on outdoor courts
- Composite material makes the ball durable, it can last many moons even on an asphalt surface
Rating: 4.7 / 5
Read detailed features of the Spalding NBA Street Outdoor Basketball.
In my own experience, I have found the Spalding NBA Streetball extraordinarily durable and offers excellent value for money. You will love its bounce once you dribble it a few times. So, if you are in search of affordable, durable, and high-performance good basketball that will not need to replace any time soon, I shall definitely recommend it.
“Best Performance Basketball”
The Wilson Evolution Basketball is known as a game-changer. It is one of the most purchased basketballs for high schools and training academies. Though the ball is designed for indoor play, it can be used on the outdoor surface because of its hard leather pebbling. The material is a microfiber composite that does not wear down the same way. The Wilson Evolution is the number 1 indoor game basketball in America. Also, players prefer it on the outdoor courts due to its performance.
The material of the Wilson Evolution is microfiber composite leather that offers comfortable touch and lasting durability. This basketball is available in three different sizes and is specially designed for professional players. Furthermore, the ball is approved by the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS).
Best of all, the Wilson Evolution is the best basketball for trainees and professionals as well. The most used ball is leading the entire indoor training academies along with the smooth outdoor courts. Whether you are an amateur or officially experienced player, the Evolution ball must have gone through your hands. It is available in 3 different sizes, official Size 7, 29.5 inches, Intermediate Size 6, 28.5 inches, and Youth Size 5, 27.5 inches.
Wilson Evolution is also on the list of the best quality indoor basketballs.
The exceptional key features of Wilson Evolution Game Basketball are below;
- The ball is famous for its soft and tacky signature feel, maximum softness due to pebbling combined with core cushioning technology
- Outstanding grip due to 100% Premium Evo Microfiber composite cover. Also, its wicking outer lay absorbs the moist of hands
- A low-density sponge rubber offers consistent bounce. Moreover, the ball bounces with an ideally consistent amount if the air pressure is proper between 7 PSI to 9 PSI
- Long-lasting durability because of the microfiber material.
Rating: 4.7 / 5
Read reviews and complete overview of the Wilson Evolution Basketball.
I have encountered serious problems while playing in organized leagues; our practice balls were different than the league balls. However, the gameplays are going smoothly and we are mostly leading since we are practicing with Evolution ball. Also, this is the best ball for younger players to get ready for the game. So, I recommend you to practice with Wilson Evolution Basketball and beat your opponents with its finest grip.
“Most Durable Basketball”
Spalding manufactures the replica of official NBA basketball which is a top-rated ball for indoor hardwood courts and outdoor concrete fields. The ball was designed considering the standards of NBA standards while keeping it durable which is the vital key feature for outdoor play.
The ball is crafted with high-quality mixed leather to maximize three essential features, feel, grip, and durability. Certainly, the Spalding Replica basketball has the look and feel of the Official NBA Game Ball.
However, I felt a bit of an issue with the NBA replica, the ball deteriorated slightly faster on an outdoor court. It could be because of the slightly harsher surface or we played in rain a couple of times. The exterior might have lost some strength because of the wetness, or it could be because of the less cushioning.
A shortlist of the main features of the Spalding NBA Replica is below;
- A great replica basketball with the Official NBA Logo
- Composite leather to offer well balance on indoor and outdoor courts
- Designed to last hundreds of hours on concrete courts
- Available in many sizes including official size 7
- Durable hardcover offers consistent bounce
Rating: 4.6 / 5
Read reviews and complete overview of the Spalding NBA Replica Indoor/Outdoor Game Ball.
Overall I enjoyed playing with the Spalding NBA Replica Game Ball. I liked the fact it looked just like the Official Game Ball, had more grip than other average indoor/outdoor basketball, and very consistent bounce. However, the ball does not seem as durable as the official NBA Game Ball. So, if you are buying a ball to play indoors a lot, with the advantage of being able to play it outdoors sometimes, the Spalding NBA Replica Game Ball is a perfect choice.
“Best Budget Basketball”
Wilson produces the best quality composite leather basketballs that are perfect for indoor and outdoor courts. This ball is a product of the Official NCAA Championship and March Madness. Indeed, Wilson NCAA Replica Game Basketball is the best suitable ball for both indoor and outdoor courts.
The NCAA Replica offers the best craftsmanship at a price no fan would argue with. This ball features the same qualities that you find in the NCAA Official Game Ball. A moisture-absorbing outer layer is specially designed for outdoor play. Moreover, the laid-in channels and core cushioning make the ball favorite of professional players anywhere.
The ball is available in different sizes for various types of gameplays; however, 7 PSI is the proper inflation level.
Read a detailed article on the average price of basketballs.
Read below an overview of Wilson NCAA Replica Basketball’s Key Features;
- Moisture absorbing technology to absorb the moist of hands
- The soft composite cover provides an extremely comfortable feel to the palm
- Wide deep channels for sturdy grip
- Core cushioning technology for soft and consistent bounce
Rating: 4.5 / 5
Read reviews and complete overview of the Wilson Replica NCAA Game Basketball.
Unquestionably, the Wilson NCAA Replica Game ball is definitely the best outdoor basketball. I primarily use it for outdoor play and never had an issue with durability or grip. Hence, if you are looking for a perfect ball for outdoor plays, I shall recommend Wilson outdoor basketball without thinking twice.
Though this ball’s pebbling does not offer the softest feel because of its composite leather, still it holds up way longer than other outdoor basketballs.
“Great Appearance Ball”
Have you ever noticed how outdoor basketball can hit the rim and fly to the other side of the court? The rubberized cover of Spalding NBA Varsity Outdoor Basketball is one of those balls that are perfect for outdoor play. Although you will hear more about composite leather balls, the Spalding NBA varsity is beyond your exceptions regarding its performance.
If you love playing basketball outdoor, you must have noticed that many rubber balls also tend to lose their shape over time. However, I did not have to witness that problem with this Spalding Varsity ball. Despite the ball’s color combination, it maintains its grip shape.
Notable features of vibrant Spalding NBA Varsity are listed below;
- Extremely comfortable, a soft and tacky rubber pebbling
- Durable Rubber to withstand hard courts
- Being a rubber ball it still maintains its shape regardless of temperature and plays
- Budget-friendly and sturdy grip for the value of money
- Hard rubber cover assists with a consistent bounce
Rating: 4.4 / 5
Read reviews and complete overview of the Spalding NBA Varsity Multicolor Outdoor Basketball.
In my own experience, I have found it an authentic ball that can resist some tough outdoor play. The Spalding NBA Varsity Multicolor Outdoor Basketball is a solid choice to net the hoops of hard courts. The ball might have a few difficulties now and then, but it is durable and will definitely survive a season or two for a daily driveway or park use.
“Best Lightweight Basketball”
The Spalding Rookie Gear Indoor Outdoor Basketball is a stunning ball with multiple color choices. With the proper equipment, young athletes can grow into star players and strong team members. Basketball is 15% lighter in weight and perfect for young athletes to master the basics of basketball sport. Train yourself and become an expert on skills with youth basketball to reach a professional level in the future. This is the best outdoor basketball for beginners and children because of its lightweight and easy-to-handle feature.
The ball is available in conventional orange composite leather cover in multicolored cover such as yellow, blue, green, orange sections. Therefore the advantage of a multicolored ball over the standard orange one is that you can easily find it in a collection of other basketballs, otherwise, it gets difficult sometimes to identify your ball. Furthermore, girls also intend to prefer the colorful basketball over the orange one because of its vibrancy and uniqueness.
The ball is available in youth Size 5 – 27.5 Inches and it is perfectly playable and holds the air pressure up to 9 PSI.
Read below the key features of Spalding Rookie Gear;
- The ball is slightly lighter weight as compared to the official ball, best to practice the drill skills
- High-quality composite leather makes the ball feels very soft, lightweight is the advantage
- The sticky outer layer and deep channels provide better control over the ball
- The ball stays inflated even if you leave it outdoor
- Consistent bounce and sticky outer layer for better handling
- Designed for indoor and outdoor courts
- High-quality composite leather to withstand weather conditions
Rating: 4.4 / 5
Read reviews and complete overview of the Spalding Rookie Gear Indoor/Outdoor Composite 27.5 Youth Basketball.
If you think your kid should dribble the ball and shoot the hoop like a professional basketball player, then the Spalding Rookie Gear Indoor/Outdoor Composite 27.5 Youth would be the best basketball to choose. In particular, the ball is ideal if you are starting to learn and getting into a basketball game.
In addition, this ball will definitely be an awesome gift for a young player showing initial interest in a game of hoops. The advantage of playing the ball in both courts indoor and outdoor assists in using it in any location.
“Best Handling Basketball”
The Molten X-Series BGMX has a unique look of 12 panels design and suitable for Indoor and Outdoor play. Not only it is a fantastic-looking ball, but it also offers great performance. As the officially approved FIBA ball, this Molten X basketball has gained international fame and acknowledgment as the top choice amongst elite NBA players. The ball is extremely durable and comes with a 1-year official warranty.
The X-Series comes with great visibility and functionality for dribbling and perfect shooting. Molten’s GIUGIARO design enhances its visibility that allows players to track their rotation easily. The ball has random pebbling on it. Moreover, each pebble is tactically aligned to give a regular touch no matter where you hold the ball.
The Molten X-Series Indoor/Outdoor Basketball, FIBA Approved BGMX is available in three different sizes: Junior Size 5, Intermediate Size 6, and Official size 7. Unlike most of the balls, it comes deflated; therefore you need to pump the air to make it game-ready. Best of all, the Molten X-Series comes with a one-year warranty.
Amazing features of Molten X-Series Indoor/Outdoor Basketball;
- The FIBA Approved ball has great visibility and easier to acknowledge backspin
- It does not feel like leather soft feel beyond explanation
- Offers solid grip on a dry court
- Butyl bladder to maintain the air pressure
- Relatively consistent bounce throughout the play
Rating: 4.3 / 5
Read the reviews and complete overview of the Molten X-Series Indoor Outdoor BGMX Basketball – FIBA Approved.
With superior craftsmanship and innovative Butyl bladder technology, Molten has produced one of the best outdoor basketballs also suitable for indoor. Though its grip is sensitive to moisture and dirt, still I have found Molten outdoor basketball perfectly fine for dry courts.
In particular, the ball features an iconic 12-panel design that helps the player notice the ball’s spin. So, if you are looking for a hoop buddy, I’ll recommend you try Molten X-Series indoor/outdoor basketball. Indeed it will be an interesting and unique choice for all courts.
Mikasa might not be a famous brand name that comes to mind but it has produced an exceptionally good ball. Mikasa BX1000 Premium Rubber Basketball is extra thick, made of premium rubber that provides the ultimate durability on outdoor concrete surfaces.
Not to mention, its performance remains consistent regardless of the weather conditions. In my own experience, I have found that most of the athletes prefer playing outdoor basketball with Mikasa BX1000 because of its durability and comparatively cheaper price. The appreciation it has received is well deserved. Above all, the ball comes with a 1-year warranty.
The huge advantage of this model is that it comes in various sizes. You must have found it very difficult to find an outdoor basketball in sizes less than 6. Mikasa produces premium rubber balls even in size 4. Certainly, it is a major edge for kids or young players who are just starting to play and learn basketball.
Mikasa BX1000 Premium is available in official size 7 – 29.5 inches. Moreover, you can also purchase the ball in Elementary Size 4 – 25.5 inches, Youth Size 5 – 27.5 inches, and Compact Size 6 – 28.5 inches. And the good news; the ball comes with a 1-year warranty.
I have listed down awesome features of Mikasa BX1000;
- Premium Rubber for ultimate durability on outdoor asphalt surface and concrete
- Dense pebble design offers a firm grip to the ball even to small hands
- Consistent bounce at ideal PSI
- Designed especially for outdoor courts with latex-free extra-thick rubber
Rating: 4.4 / 5
Read reviews and complete overview of the Mikasa BX1000 BX1000 Premium Rubber Basketball.
Indeed, Mikasa BX1000 Premium Rubber Basketball is one of the premium models in outdoor basketball. Such performance balls usually require a lot more investment but this ball is available at a reasonable amount. Considering the versatility durability of the ball, the BX1000 is actually affordable and a perfect buy for youngsters. So, it is definitely a smart buy and I’ll highly recommend it for outdoor play.
A unique soft-grip basketball especially designed for outdoor courts. In addition to the soft grip technology, the ball is manufactured with highly durable sponge rubber that ensures durability on outdoor surfaces – even on daily use. We have tested this ball on concrete driveways and backyard asphalt courts. Indeed, it is a true PHANTOM on the streets.
Furthermore, its distinctive color scheme increases its visibility. The ball comes in different shades of neon, making it highly recognizable even in the low-light. Certainly, you can focus on the ball when you shoot and watch it ripping the hoop’s net.
- Designed with premium quality sponge rubber for ultimate durability and softness
- Soft grip technology ensures the ball stick to your palm for easy grip
- Deep wide channel design makes the ball very easy to handle
- Eye-catching glowing colors, suitable for a low-light outdoor basketball game
- The basketball is tacky, the grip stays consistent even when your palms get wet with the sweat
- Butyl bladder makes sure of the consistent bounce (make sure not to over inflate the ball)
Rating: 4.2 / 5
This basketball is a great choice for beginners and amateurs to practice aggressive passes and shooting. Its soft grip makes it perfect for easy handling. Additionally, the combination of dark with neon colors touch makes it suitable to play even in the low light court. Indeed, its durability ensures longevity on outdoor asphalt surfaces.
A Florida-based teacher and Amazon user Fibonacci says, "It happens that my classroom is the closest to the basketball courts, so I am the person who manages the basketballs each year. Every day, students come to my room asking for a ball so they can play on the rough asphalt courts outside. That surface is murder on most balls, but I noticed this one has lasted the entire year and still has life in it. That's significant because this is my students' favorite ball because of its grippy texture. You can be that when fall comes, I will be buying several more of these. They are a bit more expensive than the cheap ones, but they last four or five times as long. Altogether, they are a much better deal.
In case you are looking for a Portable Basketball Hoop, read the informational article explaining the features of top-picked hoops.
The Wilson Forge Plus basketball uses a special new material that is supposed to provide a more similar grip on the ball compared to leather. It is great for intermediate players at an affordable price. The basketball's 32 panels and six layers help the ball retain its roundness and bounce. This basketball is more durable than other balls in its price range. The rubber cover is moisture-wicking, making it ideal for indoor and outdoor courts.
However, this basketball is not good for serious players, but perfect for beginners and intermediate athletes. We found it a bit stiff upon the first touch, but it became lighter and easier to handle after repeated uses. The cover material provides better grip than most rubber balls but doesn't feel like leather or any other expensive synthetic material.
- Moisture-wicking synthetic material cover that offers great grip
- The exclusive light carbon rubber layer enhances power, control, and precision
- Durable materials are designed to last longer than traditional leather balls
- The high-quality composite bladder ensures consistent bounce on any surface, the bladder ensures long-lasting air retention
- Wilson Forge Plus comes in three sizes; Size 5 – 27.5″, Size 6 – 28.5″, and Size 7 – 29.5″
Rating: 4.3 / 5
I tested this new edition in the Wilson Forge series on indoor and outdoor courts and found it performing better on concrete. The cover material felt a bit hard in the beginning, but it got softened after a few hours of dribbling. It offered precise bank shots, very good grip. However, we recommend not to play with the ball in rain – it picks up dirt when gets wet.
Complete Guide to Buy Best Outdoor Basketball:
Any amateur with zero basketball background or experienced player can tell you that basketball matters as much as the quality of the hoop and the court surface. You will notice a significant difference in the bounce if your ball is uneven. As a result, you will lose control of the ball that will lack confidence. Your goal shots towards the hoop will unpredictably end up somewhere else.
The first thing you should consider before buying basketballs is the material. Players use leather basketball at a professional level whereas synthetic and composite material balls are good for outdoor and indoor courts. And, rubber balls are mainly perfect for outdoor courts since their response is diverse on indoor fields.
The stickiness on the cover's surface changes the amount of grip necessary to hold the ball, bounce it, and move around the court. However, too much stickiness is just as much of a problem as one that is slippery. The inner core also changes from ball design to ball design with different products and ball manufacturers taking a varied approach to the basketballs in their product range.
Of course, I am not going to deny the fact that indoor basketball feels much nicer as compared to the outdoor ball. However, we all love playing outside in summer, thus it requires the right ball to enjoy the game. The brand manufacturers design outdoor basketballs to withstand the weather conditions and rough surfaces of outdoor play. There is no need to worry about a ball being damaged by concrete or asphalt courts, you can even carry a portable hoop and start playing on the street or paved park.
In case you might be asking yourself how to find the right ball, that will let you improve your skills to the NBA level. Believe me, it is a painful journey if you are a basketball fanatic. No athlete would prefer playing with a ball that just looks like a basketball - at least not me! That is why there is a need for a perfect-sized basketball suitable for your hands for a credible grip. The right amount of bounce to play skills like ankle break - that is only possible when you get the ball where you expect it to be. Lastly, a durable ball to last for a few seasons.
You should consider the size of the ball before buying basketballs, both basketballs indoor & outdoor come in different sizes. So, how to buy the right ball for outdoor play? Here are some of the key factors you should look for to find the best outdoor basketball to make things easier for you.
As we all love playing basketball, no matter how old we are and how many skills we have to dribble and goal the net, the balls come in different sizes to facilitate every hand. Below is a complete guide of size, weight, and circumference to facilitate every hand;
|Size 7||22 oz||29.5"|
|Size 6||20 oz||28.5"|
|Size 5||17 oz||27.5"|
|Size 4||14 oz||25.5"|
|Size 3||10 oz||22"|
Read a detailed article on Basketball Sizes.
- Leather - Avoid leather balls for outdoor basketball; they are soft and difficult to control when your palms are sweaty. Also, they require some break-ins before use and are quite pricy. I suggest you keep leather basketballs for indoor courts only.
- Composite - On the other hand, synthetic or composite balls are highly durable and do not need a break-in before use. These are suitable for both indoor and outdoor courts. The only drawback is that they do not offer the soft feel the same as a leather ball.
- Rubber - However, rubber balls are generally the best to use for outdoor play. They offer extreme durability and good bounce. They are specially designed for outdoor courts and for beginners to master their skills. Comparatively, these are much cheaper and more affordable basketballs as compared to leather or synthetic balls.
The grip is very important when you are buying a basketball. A basketball with a perfect grip and great feel gives you the confidence to dribble, perform ankle-breaking crossover moves, and offer a soft touch on your shot finish. A top-quality outdoor basketball gives you an awesome feel and performs well overall.
No doubt the ball is going to contact with sweat or rain. However, it becomes difficult to perfectly grip a ball when it gets wet. Fortunately, there are a few basketballs that are specially designed to absorb your sweat. As a result, your performance stays consistent throughout the play. However, only premium quality basketballs have moisture-absorbing features.
Also, read about the best basketball shoes for ankle support, they provide great support and stability on the ground.
Another important feature of a good basketball is its bounce. The ball should have a proper amount of bounce if you want to experience a good game. The bounce must not be too short or too high, otherwise, it will feel like a toy.
Furthermore, every time the ball bounces on the outdoor court, it wears down a little bit because of the dirt or asphalt surface. Not to worry, you will not notice a significant impact on the bounce suddenly. However, there will be a notable difference after a few years of play.
It is advised to inflate the basketball properly for it to bounce well.
You must have noticed that some basketball manufacturers claim that their balls are perfectly suitable on outdoor concrete surfaces. Actually, the ball does not hold up as they describe. Indeed, you will experience perfect play for the first few games, but none of us is willing to replace the ball after a couple of months.
The expected life of an outdoor basketball should be close to a year if you are playing with it quite often. However, cheap outdoor basketball will wear out quickly and there is no fun dribbling with a torn ball.
Always clean your basketball shoes before storing them to ensure their durability.
Main Features of The Best Basketballs
After painful research and experience, I have found that you should look for the following key features before buying a basketball;
- Durable Material to Survive Concrete Surface
- Comfortable Feel to the hand a Soft and Tacky
- Moisture Absorbing Technology for the Perfect Grip
- Consistent Bounce Throughout the Play
Video Guide on the Most Popular Outdoor Basketballs
How to Take Care of Outdoor Basketball – Useful Tips
Basketball is one of the most popular games because it doesn't require any special equipment to play. All you need is a ball that bounces, two hoops and players. Usually, athletes prefer to play in outdoor courts and if you are one of them, you should probably know how to take care of outdoor basketballs.
- It’s best to clean your basketball before storing it to remove all the dirt. Simply wipe the ball using a dry towel or clean cloth to remove dust. Eliminate all the dirt stuck in the grooves using a toothbrush.
- Do not store your outdoor basketball anywhere damp or wet, it will lose its resilience against moisture & heat if you do. Make sure to keep it away from places where mildew might grow on the surface of your basketball whenever possible.
- Always make sure to restore in a basketball bag or a shoebox – this will help protect your ball from becoming damaged by rough surfaces like concrete walls & flooring, etc.
- When playing outside avoid using de-icers near your court because these chemicals are made with salt which is bad for natural leather materials such as outdoor basketballs. If you need to clear your court try using salt-free deicers or just leave the snow/ice alone until it melts naturally, then brush away what’s left with a broom.
- If there are any cracks on your outdoor basketball then try using some shoe glue around the area before storing – to ensure they don’t spread too far. This type of glue is specially made for leather so don’t worry about it causing any damage to the material.
- Avoid playing in rain or moist conditions as the water isn’t a good friend of leather or composite leather materials.
- Always store a basketball inflated at its recommended PSI.
- NEVER leave an outdoor basketball exposed to direct sunlight – it will result in serious damage to your precious ball.
Things to Avoid
- Never soak a basketball in water or cleaning solution, it will damage the leather and the bladder too.
- Never store your basketball deflated
- DO NOT store a basketball in an area where there is a direct sunlight
- Avoid playing with one basketball on daily basis, it will reduce the ball’s lifespan
I have provided you enough information about finding the best outdoor basketball from my experience. Hopefully, you are educated enough to choose the right ball for your concrete courts. As I have mentioned the main features such as Feel, Grip, Bounce, and Durability of each ball, now it will be easier for you to decide.
Court conditions play a huge impact on the ball's durability; you will need to re-inflate the ball very often on hard surfaces. I recommend you to make a wise decision if you want to enjoy the play for more than a year.
In my own experience, I have found the Spalding NBA Zi/O Indoor-Outdoor Basketball a perfect outdoor basketball considering all factors. The second choice would be Wilson NBA Forge Plus because of its grip and ability to perform great on indoor and outdoor courts. On the other hand, if you want to save some money and buy the best basketball outdoors, you will never go wrong with Spalding NBA Street Basketball.
If you want to give suggestions and recommendations from your experience, leave a comment or contact us, your feedback would be much appreciated.
Frequenty Asked Questions: (FAQs)
Is composite leather basketball for outdoors?
Composite Leather Basketballs are perfectly suited for outdoor courts. They are more durable than leather and will resist the damages of outdoor conditions. Moreover, they are game-ready basketballs.
Is molten GG7X good for outdoor?
Molten GG7X is manufactured with high-quality composite leather and quite durable to withstand concrete courts. It is quite popular for its panel design which is also great for solid grip and visibility.
What is the best basketball you can buy?
Wilson Evolution Basketball is the best basketball you can buy. A list of the best basketballs is below;
- Spalding NBA Street Outdoor Basketball
- Wilson Evolution Game Basketball
- Spalding NBA Replica Indoor/Outdoor Game Ball
- Wilson Replica NCAA Game Basketball
- Spalding NBA Varsity Multi-Color Outdoor Basketball
- Spalding Rookie Gear Indoor/Outdoor Composite 27.5 Youth Basketball
- Molten X-Series Indoor/Outdoor Basketball, FIBA Approved BGMX
- Mikasa BX1000 Premium Rubber Basketball
- Wilson NXT Basketball
What is the best material for a basketball?
Leather is the best material for a basketball. Leather basketballs are perfect for professional-level indoor games such as NBA, WNBA, and NCAA. Composite leather balls can be used for indoor and outdoor courts. On the other hand, Rubber and Nylon balls are the most durable and manufactured especially for outdoor courts.
What is the best basketball for outdoor use?
Spalding NBA Street is the best basketball for outdoor use because of its synthetic rubber cover and easy ball handling. The composite material makes the ball extremely durable even on the asphalt surface. Best of all, it has consistent bounce and best buy for the money.
What basketball has the best grip?
Spalding NBA Official Game Ball has the best grip. This ball is manufactured with full-grain leather provided by Horween®, deep wide channels provide an excellent grip on the ball. Best of all, the ball feels great over time as it gets used.
- How to Become NBA Referee – Official Ref Requirements/Salary - February 22, 2022
- Muggsy Bogues Dunk – Shortest Player Could Actually Dunk? - February 14, 2022
- How to Palm a Basketball – Exercises to Hold with Better Grip - February 13, 2022