A good in-ground basketball hoop can bring decades of happiness to your backyard. Kids from the neighborhood will get together to take part in shooting competitions. Therefore, it is going to be an excellent excuse for parents to keep an eye on their children. This article will help you to find the best in ground basketball hoop in 2021 and a complete guide to basketball hoop installation in your backyard.
Not only the kids can have the joy of hooping, but adults can also enjoy practicing dunking drills. Best of all, having a basketball hoop in your home along with the Best Outdoor Basketball can make a huge difference in your health and offers a great opportunity to relax your mind. A permanent in ground basketball system is a worthy investment and it lasts for many years, rather than investing in a Portable Basketball Hoop.
Table of Content
- Best in Ground Basketball Hoop – 8 Permanent Goals
- 1. Pro Dunk Hercules
- 2. Goalrilla FT Series Basketball System
- 3. Goalrilla GS-54 Basketball System
- 4. Silverback Basketball Hoop - SB60
- 5. Pro Dunk Diamond Basketball System
- 6. Lifetime Adjustable Basketball Hoop 54-Inch
- 7. Spalding "888" Series In-Ground Basketball Hoop
- 8. Silverback NXT 54" In-Ground Basketball Goal
- Final Verdict
- Guide to Install In Ground Basketball Hoop
Best in Ground Basketball Hoop – 8 Permanent Goals
Here is a list of top rated in ground basketball hoops in 2021 with their qualities and prices.
|1||Pro Dunk Hercules||Best High-end basketball hoop|
|2||Goalrilla FT Series Basketball System||Top Rated In Ground Basketball Hoop|
|3||Goalrilla GS-54 Basketball System||Best Adjustable In Ground Hoop|
|4||Silverback Basketball Hoop - SB60||High-Quality Professional Hoop|
|5||Pro Dunk Diamond Basketball System||Largest Pole Top Rated Hoop|
|6||Lifetime Adjustable Basketball Hoop - 54-Inch||Cheap In Ground Basketball Hoop|
|7||Spalding "888" Series In-Ground Basketball Hoop||Best In Ground Adjustable Hoop|
|8||Silverback NXT 54" In-Ground Basketball Goal||Best In Ground Hoop for Driveway|
An exceptional high-end in ground basketball hoop is considered to be the strongest and top-rated hoop. What makes it significantly solid is 7ga thick structural grade steel pole that delivers never-breaking durability. Moreover, the whole hoop support is zinc galvanized to prevent it from rusting. Indeed, it is a monster hoop that offers rigid performance even on aggressive plays.
We all love to hang for a few seconds after a perfect dunk. Pro dunk has made an unbreakable rim that includes two vertical shocks. Hence, you can dunk and hang on the rim without the worry of bending it down or shattering the backboard. Check out how high do you need to jump to perfectly dunk a basketball using Dunk Calculator. Furthermore, the pole and backboard are padded and especially good if you have kids around. The padding will protect them from getting injuries by accidental collisions.
Unfortunately not available at the moment, check similar in ground hoops.
- 72-inch high-performance backboard made of crystal clear tempered glass, gym-quality rebound ½ inch glass board
- Heavy-gauge aluminum frame around the backboard to provide extreme rigidity
- One piece 6 x 6-inch solid pole with 7 gauge thickness
- The entire hoop is highly impactful and has galvanized padding around
- Extreme strength bolt mounting to stand this Hercules like a mountain
- Two vertical shocks beneath the rim to make it competitively break-away, perfect for dunking and hanging
- Engineered designed rim supported by heavy gauge steel
- Durable outdoor rim net
- The manufacturer offers a lifetime dunking & hanging warrant
Goalrilla FT Series in ground basketball hoop is designed for significant basketball games. It is manufactured with the best quality materials and of course a bit high priced. Along with the professional look, this sturdy and robust hoop can bring professional basketball to your backyard or driveway. The professional-looking breakaway rim is ideal for fierce dunking.
Its tempered glass clear backboard is framed with anodized aluminum, providing it the strength to last for decades. A powder-coated alloy steel pole is built to resist outdoor climate and withstand harsh conditions of weather. In addition, the heavy pole helps in increasing its stability. The easy height adjustment system makes it the best in-ground basketball system for every age player.
Best of all, it comes with a lifetime warranty (limited) from the manufacturer. The hoop comes in three different sizes – 54”, 60”, and 74”.
- Clear view ½-inch thick tempered glass backboard, shatterproof glass provides awesome rebound along with a pro-style look. Backboard sizes: (54″ x 36”), (60” x 38”) and (72” x 42”)
- Uniquely designed anodized aluminum frame holds the backboard tight and delivers a sleek design
- Pro-style breakaway is supported by strong springs and offers great support while dunking fearlessly
- 5” x 5” solid one-piece square steel support pole, DUPONT® powder coated to protect it from rusting and ensures the long life
- Two wide-angle steel arms connect with both sides of the backboard for ultimate stability
- All-steel crank height adjustment system with unlimited increments to adjust the Goalrilla FT hoop’s height at the desired level from 7.5 to 10 feet
- The hoop gets mounted in the ground with a bolt anchor system, easy to unscrew and transport to a new place
Still confused if you should get a basketball hoop or not? Read exciting reasons to buy a basketball hoop in 2021.
The Goalrilla GS54 basketball hoop is one of the toughest basketball goals in the market. The hoop is designed to last forever and the manufacturer offers a limited lifetime warranty. In the case of moving your home, you can easily unbolt it from the ground and reinstall it in the new backyard. Certainly, this rock-solid hoop is adjustable rather than having a fixed height. This function makes it useable for kids or athletes with shorter heights.
The rim is a breakaway professional style with a supportive spring beneath to bear the pressure of dunking and hanging. Best of all, the hoop is powder-coated and will not get rust or faded effect because of UV rays over time. The GS54 basketball system has brought the professional game to the small courts with long-lasting durability.
- The backboard is 54 x 34 inches and made of 3/8-inch thick tempered glass for ultimate strength and performance
- One piece 5 x 5-inch solid pole, rigid and offers infinite durability
- Adjustable height from 7.5 feet to 10 feet using an easy crank actuator
- Powder-coated steel pole highly resistant to weather conditions, prevent it from rusting
- Easy moveable from one place to another, strength to the concrete system allows you to unbolt from the ground and easy installation in the new place
- Hoop is breakaway with supportive spring that provides flex like professional hoops, perfect for aggressive dunking
- Moreover, the hoop is 2.5 feet away from the backboard which is quite reasonable
It is a premier in ground basketball hoop, features a powder-coated steel pole, and tempered glass backboard. It is quite neat and sturdy which are significant features of a best in-ground basketball hoop. This gymnasium-style basketball goal is using a revolutionary anchor bolt mounting system that mounts the hoop solid and easy to unmount for movability. Particularly, The SB60 is an adjustable goal with easy adjustability with the help of a crank actuator.
The pole and the backboard are padded to make it feels softer and sharp-impact-free if you hit it accidentally while playing. Additionally, the rim is breakaway pro-style and ideal for dunking and aggressive shots. And, the pole fits right into the ground for it to stand firm and it has special paint protection to withstand the dampness of the earth.
The Silverback SB54 is also a great in-ground basketball hoop at affordable price wih crank actuator to adjust the goal from the NBA and NCAA regulation height .
- Durable and sturdy two-piece 4 x 4 powder-coated steel pole to prevent it from rusting
- 60 x 33 inch tempered glass backboard is 5/16 inch thick that makes it ten times stronger
- Concrete anchor system to install it easily, and for easy to unmount in case of moving it to another place
- Pro style breakaway rim with a good flex due to strong spring beneath
- The adjustable goal, height variation from 7.5 feet to 10 feet with a variation of 6 inches
- Additional layer around the pole to provide protection from weather conditions
Pro Dunk Diamond basketball hoop has the largest industrial pole with a rock-solid foundation. Suspension is 5 feet away from the pole and offers unmatched performance. Indeed, it is the best in ground basketball hoop for professional courts, parks, and backyards. The official size backboard and competition grade break-away rim offers supreme performance to athletes.
Besides being a monster of a basketball system, you can adjust the height effortlessly. Not only professionals or amateurs can play over it but it can be adjusted down to six feet for young athletes. The backboard is so solid that the manufacturer offers an unconditional backboard replacement guarantee. However, it applies to a residential pro dunk diamond system including one-time free delivery.
- 72-inch high-quality ½ inch thick tempered glass delivers supreme performance
- Largest industrial 12 x 8-inch one-piece solid pole, no other hope is bigger than pro dunk diamond
- Unlimited adjustments between 6 to 10 feet, spring-assisted height adjustment with a simple turn of a handle
- The suspension is 5 feet away from the pole that makes it possible to install in-ground and have the board somewhere on concrete or tiles
- The complete goal is Zinc galvanized to protect it from rust and weather conditions – Extended Corrosion Warranty
- Pro Dunk Diamond offers the best warranty in the market covering all plays including dunking and hanging
- 5 gauge steel pole increases durability and it is 75% thicker than some of the best hoop brands
Lifetime is a well-known brand that manufactures top-rated basketball hoops and always makes a place in the best hoop brands. Lifetime 71525 is a high-quality basketball hoop with a hundred percent shatterproof backboard that is made of Polycarbonate. backboard. Moreover, the board is made to withstand the intensities of weather. In particular, this wonderful model is wear-resistant and the manufacturer claims it will last a life span.
Best of all: this particular model is famous for its durability for high-intensity plays. The goal is completely powder-coated for rust protection, an all-weather nylon rim supported with double compression springs for a super dunk. Finally, a feature that makes it outstanding is the easy height adjustment.
- 54-inch professional-looking shatterproof backboard made of solid Makrolon polycarbonate
- Easy adjustability with 6-inch increments from 7.5 feet to 10 feet height with power lift height adjustment mechanism
- All-weather nylon net backed with durable double compression spring for intense dunking
- 3-piece powder-coated steel solid 3.5 inch round pole
- The backboard is padded for maximum protection
- Pretty simple to set up within a short time and there is no need of another hand to help, however, an assistant would make it easier for you
A backyard is a place where basketball athletes grow like a weed and flourish to become legends. Spalding - a renowned brand for producing quality products for basketball sports has manufactured a best in ground basketball system for backyards and outdoor courts. Particularly the exceptional tempered glass backboard for trust rebound. Moreover, the steel rim is quite smooth and competition breakaway for solid dunks.
And the good news: the sturdiness and stability comes from one piece solid pole. Also, the supportive height adjustment mechanism makes it useable for different height athletes. The backboard is strong with padding all around which makes it a firm unit. This basketball system gets delivered equipped with a pole for safety. Spalding basketballs are also leading the industry such as Spalding NBA Replica and Spalding NBA Street are good indoor and outdoor basketballs.
- Spalding 888 series basketball system is available in 3 different sizes: (72″ x 42″), (60″ x 38″), and (54″ x 36″)
- Rim is 4 feet offset from the pole
- The backboard has additional weight and rigidity for satisfying rebound response
- 6 inch thick one-piece solid pole to ensure the stability
- Well-equipped padding around the pole to prevent injuries from accidental collisions
- Flexible breakaway rim, good for dunks and hanging
- Easily adjustable mechanism to adjust the height from 7 to 10 feet with 6-inch increments
The Silverback NXT 54-inch is an ideal basketball hoop for a driveway. This adjustable goal is designed to last for decades. Safety glass backboard is protected with padding to prevent it from hitting the shaft accidentally. Moreover, the manufacturer put extra attention to the hoop’s stability, the pole gets filled with concrete for maximum firmness.
Best of all, this basketball hoop comes partially assembled and takes less time to make it game-ready. Besides having an arena-style design and awesome responsiveness, this hoop does not compromise with its durability and strength.
- Backboard: 54” x 33″ infinity edge style folding backward provides extreme rigidity and prevents it from flexing
- Adjustable height to the NBA and NCAA regulations: easy to adjust the height from 7.5’ to 10’ with the help of a steel crank actuator
- Defensive powder-coated steel frame resists against outdoor climates and prevents the hoop from rusting
- Stability: the pole gets filled with concrete while installation to provide ultimate stability and strength
- Breakaway rim: professional-style breakaway rim offers the experience of a professional basketball game. Spring-activated rim flexes under pressure to protect the backboard and players from injuries
- Easy to install just within 90-minutes (verified by users)
The above-mentioned basketball hoops are our recommended. In addition, we have also read good reviews about the following in ground basketball hoops
Indeed it is difficult to make a decision and choose the best in ground basketball hoop for Outdoor Courts out of so many options. However, we have made it easier for you with the above-mentioned detailed features and downsides of each hoop. In case if you are still confused and finding it difficult to select one, set a budget then go for the below recommendations.
Budget-friendly - if you are low on budget and still need a hoop to satisfy your passion, go for Lifetime 71525 Adjustable Basketball Hoop. It is available at affordable prices and also tagged at Amazon's Choice. Certainly, it offers great features for the value of money.
Mid-Range Hoop - on the other hand, if you are prepared to spend some extra for a good hoop, there is no other hoop that performs better than Silverback SB60 at this price. It is also tagged as Amazon's Choice and considered to be the best in ground basketball hoop under $1000.
Premium Hoop - however, if budget is not an issue and you want to purchase a hoop that is firm like a mountain and performs the best, go for Goalrilla FT Series Hoop. You will never need to spend your cash to purchase another hoop because it comes with a lifetime warranty.
Note: Pro Dunk hoops are currently unavailable, our second recommendation as the best in ground basketball system is Goalrilla FT Series Basketball System.
Guide to Install In Ground Basketball Hoop
Having your own basketball hoop in your backyard is the best to stay fit, ensures good health and your kids can also train for as long as they want. Perhaps your children will show much interest and shape their career in basketball sports. Rather than having a portable basketball hoop, a fixed in-ground goal is better and it is not rocket science to install it. However, the installation process is time taking and requires a little manpower.
Things Required to Install Basketball Hoop
- Cement Trowel
- Tape Measure
- Stir Rod
- 10-15 60 lb Bags of Dry Concrete Mix
- Rubber Mallet
- 1/2" Drive Torque Wrench
- Steel Punch
Below is the step by step guide of basketball hoop installation;
Step One: Choose the Place Carefully
Selecting a location is the most critical and essential part of installing a hoop. However, if you have selected a location, call the municipality to confirm if there is no utility pipe or other lines before start digging. Additionally, consult with your neighbors and read community rules before putting up a fixed basketball goal.
Step Two: Dig a Hole
This is the most difficult part depending on the ground conditions. Read the recommended dimensions of the hole's size provided by the manufacturers of that particular model. There is no need for specific tools to dig the hole, you can either use a shovel, or an auger, or other digging tools. However, it is recommended to read the manual for instructions before starting to dig.
Step Three: Concrete
After you have dug the hole and cleaned it up, put a 3 to 6-inch thick layer of gravel at the bottom for drainage. Press and tamp down the gravel to get a flat surface. Mix the concrete and place it aside, do not start putting concrete in the hole.
Place the pole vertically in the hole, stand it straight at 90 degrees, and place some stones and brick pieces around it. Ask someone to hold it straight at the level and start adding concrete. Make sure you do not install the backboard at this stage, just place the pole alone and fix it first. Now, pour the concrete without moving the pole and brace the pole so that it stays straight while the process of drying. It takes about 24 to 72 hours for the concrete to dry.
Meanwhile, get your other hardware equipment and assemble the rest of the goal. In particular, fix the backboard and rim to the hoop.
Step Four: Final Touch
Once the concrete is dry and the pole is sturdy and standing solid, fix the backboard unit on it along with the rim and tight nut bolts nicely. Adjust the hoop to the desired height if you have an adjustable hoop. We recommend setting the height at 10 feet. Indeed, the adjustable hoops come with a size sticker that helps with easy adjustment.
Once your basketball hoop is set to enjoy hours of dunking, you can always install accessories later such as paint lines and court lights for night plays.
Goalrilla has made a fantastic video tutorial about a guide to install an in-ground basketball hoop.
Frequently Asked Questions: (FAQs)
How much does it cost to put a basketball hoop in ground?
Installing a basketball hoop in ground professionally costs around $450 on average. That includes materials like concrete and other supporting material, and labor. The job is done in two trips usually, professionals will dig a hole and set the base on the first trip and wait for it to get dry and stand solid, then they would come and assemble the rest of the hoop. However, installing a hoop on a wall or rooftop is much easier and costs less money because there is no concrete involved.
Is 72 inch background too big for a driveway?
It totally depends on the size of the driveway. Basketball hoops come in sizes between 44 inches to 72 inches. If your drive is just for one car, then I would recommend going for 44 to 48 inches. On the other hand, if the driveway is for two cars then ideally a 54 inches backboard would be perfect. 72 inches backboard hoop is usually for institutes and park courts, but if the driveway is bigger than the usual size then it wouldn't be an issue installing it.
What is the best basketball goal?
Goalrilla GS-54 Basketball System is the best basketball goal. Below is a list of best basketball goals along with their ranking factors;
- Pro Dunk Hercules - Best High-end basketball hoop
- Goalrilla GS-54 Basketball System - Best Adjustable In Ground Hoop
- Silverback SB60 - High-Quality Professional Hoop
- Pro Dunk Diamond Basketball System - Largest Pole Top Rated Hoop
- Lifetime Adjustable Basketball Hoop - 54-Inch - Cheap In Ground Basketball Hoop
- Spalding "888" Series In-Ground Basketball Hoop - Best In Ground Adjustable Hoop
Does Goalrilla make Goaliath?
Goalrilla and Goaliath both basketball hoops are manufactured by the same company. However, Goalrilla is considered to be better performing and a bit costly. Goaliath 60 inch Ignite In-Ground Basketball Hoop is the top-rated goal of Goaliath series.
Is a 54 inch backboard big enough?
Yes, a 54 inch backboard is big enough and we highly recommend using a basketball backboard not less than 54" for adults. However, there are hoops available in the market with boards from 44 inches but for professional training and polishing your skills, at least 54 inches backboard is recommended. You will not be able to perform bank shots if it is less than the stated size.
How many bags of concrete do I need for the basketball hoop?
Instructions from most of the basketball companies inform you that you may need around 11 to 12 concrete bags, but I would say stock up to 14 Quikrete mix concrete bags. There is nothing wrong with having a couple of extra bags in hand while you are busy installing the hoop. In case of a mess or any accidental miss-hap, you will still be sorted and the work will not go pending.