Last Updated by Edward Pullen
Basketball athletes know that there is a huge difference between playing the game on indoor and outdoor courts. Indoor basketball courts usually have hardwood floors and steady temperatures. On the other hand, outdoor courts are either painted concrete or compound rubber with all the weather conditions you can think of. Therefore, you need the best outdoor basketball shoes 2021 instead of crappy sneakers that can take the beating on a rough surface and lasts longer.
Unfortunately, the known manufacturers of basketball products do not focus much on outdoor shoes. Indoor shoes will not withstand the weather changes particularly a hot sunny day, cold breeze, or chilled cloudy. Hence, along with purchasing the best outdoor basketball, you should also consider spending a few bucks on the right shoes for outdoor courts.
And the good news: outdoor basketball shoes do not cost a fortune as an indoor game. So, it worths having a pair to play with your friends in the street or a park. But, keep the following features in mind before buying a good pair;
- The outdoor shoes have deep and wide traction grooves
- The bottom sole is made from composite, hard durable rubber
- Outdoor basketball shoes feel stronger and tough as compared to indoor pair
As I mentioned above, shoes for outdoor basketball do not cost a fortune, because they will not last long no matter how solid they are. Thus, purchase a pair of affordable outdoor basketball shoes and that will serve you perfectly.
A must-read guide to take care of your basketball shoes.
Table of Content
- Best Outdoor Basketball Shoes – 10 Durable Street Shoes
- 1. Nike LeBron Soldier XIII SFG
- 2. Nike LeBron 17
- 3. Under Armour HOVR Havoc 2 Basketball Shoes
- 4. Under Armour SC 3zer0 III
- 5. Nike KD Trey 5 VIII
- 6. Nike Air Precision High-Top Mesh
- 7. adidas Ownthegame Wide Basketball Shoes
- 8. Nike LeBron Witness IV Shoes
- 9. adidas Harden Stepback Basketball Shoes
- 10. Under Armour Men's Lockdown 4 Shoes
- Guide to Buy the Best Outdoor Basketball Shoes
- Tips to Take Care of Basketball Shoes
- Tips to Enhance Durability of Outdoor Basketball Shoes
- Final Verdict
Best Outdoor Basketball Shoes – 10 Durable Street Shoes
Here is a list of the top 10 best outdoor basketball shoes in 2021 with their qualities and prices; these shoes have durable outsoles and last long on outside concrete courts.
|1||Nike LeBron Soldier XIII SFG||Good for Ankle Support|
|2||Nike LeBron 17||Best Nike Basketball Shoes|
|3||Under Armour HOVR Havoc 2 Basketball Shoe||Lightest Basketball Shoes|
|4||Under Armour SC 3zer0 III||Most Comfortable Basketball Shoes|
|5||Nike KD Trey 5 VIII||Best Traction Basketball Shoes|
|6||Nike Air Precision High-Top Mesh||Best Mens Basketball Shoes|
|7||adidas Ownthegame Wide Basketball Shoe||Wide Basketball Shoes|
|8||Nike LeBron Witness IV Shoe||Best Low Top Basketball Shoes|
|9||adidas Harden Stepback Basketball Shoe||Cheapest Basketball Shoes|
|10||Under Armour Men's Lockdown 4 Basketball Shoe||Best Budget Basketball Shoes|
LeBron James is known as the king of the NBA and of course not without a reason. Nike always backed him up with the great shoes and new addition in the series Soldier XIII. Particularly, the elegant high-top design makes it outstanding and availability in multicolor designs is remarkable. Not only it is good-looking but built especially for speed and performance. Best of all, the supportive lace-less shoes are easy to wear yet offer a locked-in feel.
- Nike LeBron Soldier 13 fits true to size and all the athletes felt it comfortable
- The lace-less design having 2 upper straps makes it surprisingly easy to wear and take them off
- LeBron soldier 13 provides an outstanding lockdown feel and support
- This pair of shoe has flexible inner sleeves along with enhanced cushioning feels luxurious, it is more responsive than the previous model of the series
- Soldier 13 basketball shoes have a very grippy outsole and the best tractions because of a consistent pattern
- This pair is quite stable and offers great support for movements regardless of the court conditions
Read tested reviews of top rated best basketball shoes for ankle support.
As we know LeBron James is the champion of the NBA, this Nike LeBron 17 is considered to be equipped with his speed and strength. Featuring lightweight mix knitting and yarns molded with heat makes it comfortable and durable. In addition, the combined cushioning technology offers impressive support and a responsive powerful return. Moreover, the consistent traction pattern offers a solid grip on the ground. The classic herringbone pattern feels like a muscle cell and provides rigidity for good performance on indoor and outdoor courts.
This pair would make a great basketball gift for your partner.
- Especially designed for LeBron to deliver the best basketball performance
- Nike LeBron 17 has the largest heel Max Air unit that absorbs more power than any other design and delivers responsive force
- Available in vibrant visible designs and has maximum volume unite under the football to deliver fast action
- Continues pattern under the shoe provides rigid traction and better grip on the court
- Easy to put on and take off due to its wide collar and traditional tongue, additionally it offers a locked-in feel along with great comfort
- Soft and fluffy feel due to the foam pad under the max air unit and it adds extra cushion in the heel of the shoe
- It fits perfectly providing enough stability to move better in the court
Read featurs of stunning basketball shoes that most NBA Players Wear.
Under Armour is one of the most consistent companies that manufacture high-quality sports products. This 2nd family member in the basketball shoe line is super solid and perfect shoes for hardwood and concrete. I prefer this shoe especially for its lightweight and full-length micro molded upper mesh. Indeed this pair of shoes is made of premium material that feels good in the hand, feels comfortable on the feet, and looks great on the basketball court.
- The synthetic textile upper part delivers great comfort and enhances breathability
- Molded thick sole
- Webb like lacing of the shoe with the option of customized fit offers a locked-in feeling
- Netted tongue to enhance airflow and prevent feet from getting too sweaty
- Easy to wear due to half bootie lining with traditional tongue for smooth entry
- UA HOVR technology for zero gravity along with the UA HOVR foam helps to deliver powerful responsive energy
- Midfoot TPU shank enfolds around the bottom to provide maximum stability
- In particular, the outsole is made of rubber using a herringbone traction pattern offering ultimate grip and control
- Shaft measures approximately mid-top from arch
- Die-cut EVA sockliner provides underfoot cushioning & support
Check which are the Best Women's Basketball Shoes.
Under Armour Men SC 3Zero is one of the best outdoor basketball shoes that provide great support and stability. It is made of carbon fiber shank and particularly rated for balance to the feet and maintains good support during the game. Especially, this pair is known for being lightweight outdoor shoes that are comfortable to wear for hours on basketball courts. The durable rubber sole has awesome traction because of various directional patterns and provides solid grip and control on outdoor surfaces.
- The perforated upper part of the shoe is made of durable synthetic leather to enhance breathability
- Internal comfort and easy to wear due to half bootie construction
- Soft cushion around the ankle collar to provide heel stability and comfort
- Micro G® foam sole cushion supports great landings and explosive response in taking off
- The sole is made of durable rubber with a herringbone traction pattern to provide ultimate floor control
- Shaft measures approximately mid-top from arch
- With the use of dynamic stitching, the quarter panel is combined with the knit sleeve
Read features of the Best Shoes for Dunking.
The Nike KD Trey 5 VIII shoes are particularly designed to provide great comfort and solid traction on outdoor courts. The durable rubber sole lasts long on the concrete ground and provides solid anti-slip traction. Being available at a relatively low price, this pair has awesome impact protection cushioning and competes with some expensive shoes outdoors.
- Durable rubber outsole ensures lastingness on asphalt surfaces
- Multidirectional wavy traction pattern enhances ground grip and assists with a quick stop and start, and abrupt moves in any direction
- The midsole has dual-density foam for optimum comfort
- Introduced Nike Renew cushioning technology for extra stability and added responsiveness
- A padded tongue and perforated padded mid-high collar around the ankle provides a cozy and safe fit
- Two layers of lightweight textile upper ensure breathability
If you are looking for lightweight basketball sneakers, indeed the Nike Air Precision is a good choice. This pair isn't so fancy yet functional and equipped with essential features to perfectly hoop the ball. The solid rubber outsole delivers outstanding traction support. Moreover, they are also rated for being one of the lightest basketball shoes with Phylon responsive foam. In addition to other awesome features, the Air unit in the heel helps absorb shocks and deliver impact protection.
- This pair of Nike shoes offer ankle braces for extra support around the ankles
- Nike Air Precision is a good basketball shoe for outdoor courts due to its solid rubber outsole and dense foam
- Sturdy grip and better control on the clean court, but not on the dusty surface
- Upper and middle soles are made of lightweight materials
- The padded ankle area, upper and tongue offers great comfort
- The Air precision shoe is quite breathability due to mesh upper
- Easy to wear and take off due to lower cut and it enhances mobility
Adidas never disappoints producing better shoes for basketball athletes. This time they have done a great job creating soft insole and outsole. And the good news: this pair is specially designed for heavyweight athletes and suitable for wide feet. The Adidas Ownthegame is manufactured with cloudfoam footbed that offers great freshness and softness. Hence, if you are a big man and have wide feet, you will definitely fall in love with this durable pair having insole padding.
- Mesh upper with coated 100% synthetic leather parts
- Durable rubber sole enhances its life even on a hard surface
- Thick shaft approximately 6 to 12 inches from the arch
- Around 3-inch wide boot opening
- Especially designed considering wide fit and mid-cut
- Shoelaces to ensure a perfect locked-in feeling
- Textile lining along with durable Adiwear outsole with heel pull
Read features of the Wide Basketball Shoes.
New Nike LeBron witness basketball shoe pays great tribute to this series. This pair allows you to possess great force on the court and unleash power by feeling light below your feet. The tongue and padded collar make it breathable and least sweaty. In addition, the visible cushioning under the ball assists with absorbing landing and responsive energy with each step. However, there is nothing spectacular on the shoe's upper part, a regular mesh setup but functional.
- Shoelaces for easy entry and smart fit adjustment
- Additional tab on the tongue to easily pull it for effortless fix
- Upper is breathable and made of synthetic mesh, perfectly rounded toe
- Collar offers a cozy fit
- Selected featherposite zones offer stability and good ankle support
- Comfortable cushioned insole along with soft fabric lining provides a cozy feeling while wearing it
- The outsole is specially designed with a durable rubber for long-lasting
Adidas has brought a new James Harden model that is considered a budget outdoor basketball shoe. The traditional design of herringbone and traction pattern performs well on clean basketball courts. However, it picks up dust easily on a dirty court. Indeed, the material is unexpectedly satisfactory for being available at such a low price. The bounce cushion is quite firm and responsive, but the impact protection is not out of the mark.
- adidas Harden basketball shoes are lightweight
- Mesh upper is especially designed with textile to enhance breathability
- The main focus is on the comfort of the athlete from the moment you step into the time you take them off after the games
- Forefoot is designed a little wider to accommodate big players
- Cushioned midsole flex with your foot for easy breakdown
- The shaft is around 6 to 12 inches from the arch and the platform measures up to 3 inches
- Regular fit with shoelaces to lock-in
Read reviews of Top Rated Cheap Basketball Shoes.
Under Armour lockdown 4 has great support and ideal for outdoor basketball due to the rubber sole and traction pattern. You can move freely on the court with great grip and it ensures to offer you speed. Especially the underfoot support and lightweight with an additional breathable sock liner. Thus, your feet will stay dry because of the mesh top and are sweat-free. Indeed, it is one of the best outdoor basketball shoes with heel counter locks and stability. Athletes reviewed that these pair provide exceptional movements on the court.
- Molded 100% synthetic material
- Durable rubber sole ideal for concrete courts and will not wear down easily
- Perforated breathable upper provides dry and comfortable throughout the game
- Injected molded EVA midsole provides a great responsive ride while keeping the weight light
- Also, underfoot cushioning provides good support
- Expressive traction patterns allow exceptional movements on the court and
Guide to Buy the Best Outdoor Basketball Shoes
It will be easier for you to pick the right pair if you know what differentiates the outdoor basketball shoes from the indoor pair. If you like a shoe which I haven’t mentioned in my list, you’ll be able to decide whether that pair will be good for outdoor courts or not. Consider the following features before buying shoes for outdoor basketball;
Durable Rubber Outsole
A shoe consists of three parts mainly – the outsole, midsole, and upper part. The outsole is the most exposed area to the court and it suffers from the harshness of the surface. If it is not durable enough to withstand the roughness of a concrete surface, the shoe might end up having a slick outsole or holes in it.
In our experience, shoes with solid and dense rubber outsole were able to bear the beating of asphalt court conditions. Plus, they provide great support while ensuring the longevity of the shoe.
We recommend choosing a branded pair by Nike, Adidas, or Under Armour that is especially designed for outdoor basketball. You will be certain of the durability due to the brand’s credibility. However, if you aren’t willing to spend that much, some of the Chinese brands also make the best outdoor basketball shoes such as Beita Anti Slip and Peak Lou Williams Streetball Master (Best Seller on Amazon).
The outsole traction pattern enhances the ground grip and control over movements. Wide traction patterns with deep grooves are better for outdoors because they attract lesser dirt as compared to narrow traction patterns. As a result, the groove will stay clean and have a solid court grip.
The herringbone pattern is considered to be good for outdoor courts. They offer solid traction and better control. Moreover, the herringbone pattern helps with multidirectional quick moves.
Durable Upper Material
Although the upper part of the shoe does not connect with the surface directly, it is still important to look for durable material. Opponents intend to step on your toes while playing the abrupt basketball game. Hence, weak material upper will not survive more than a couple of weeks and start tearing apart.
Moreover, if you purposely drag your toes while quick moves, you should consider the durability of the upper part as well. Also, remember the material should be lightweight and breathable to keep the foot comfortable. Proper airflow reduces the chances of sweat and keeps your feet dry to enjoy playing for longer. We recommend high-quality mesh or fuse will be the best upper material for street basketball shoes.
Playing basketball on outdoor courts is difficult than playing indoors. Indoor courts are designed to boost performance while affecting less on the joints. Thus there are fewer chances of getting injuries while playing indoors.
On the other hand, streets and concrete courts do not offer this comfort and act ruthlessly on the joints. There, the midsole cushioning plays its part to provide comfort. Moreover, cushioning helps players to jump higher and absorb shocks while hard landings. Make sure to choose outdoor basketball sneakers with comfortable cushioning.
Outdoor basketball shoes have a shorter lifespan as compared to fancy indoor shoes. No matter how expensive they are, and how serious you are about taking care of them, they will perform efficiently only a couple of seasons. We do not recommend spending a fortune on street basketball shoes. Rather purchase cheaper shoes, but make sure of the durability.
Tips to Take Care of Basketball Shoes
It is necessary to take care of basketball shoes to ensure longevity. We recommend following these tips to increase basketball shoe lifespan;
- Remove stuck paddles and small stones from the grooves. Take a toothpick to push them out gently without hurting the traction pattern
- Take an old toothbrush or a scrubbing brush to scrub away the remaining dirt
- After that, remove stains from the upper part and outsole by using a damp cloth
- Unlace the laces and take out the removable sole to wash them
- Wipe the remaining dampness from the shoe using a dry cloth or towel
- Let them dry in the sun, insert midsole and laces once they are dried completely
Precautions to Follow
There are certain precautions that we have learned after years of experience and would advise you to follow;
- Never wash your shoes in a washing machine
- Do not dry shoes in a tumble dryer
- Never put your shoes near a heater or ventilator to dry
- Never use bleach or high chemical detergents to wash shoes, they will ruin the color and affect the durability of the materials
- Do not leave dirty or wet shoes in the dark, always clean them and let them dry in sun before storing them
Tips to Enhance Durability of Outdoor Basketball Shoes
Outdoors can be cruel if you are playing on a court that is not designed for the actual sport. There's nothing worse than having your basketball shoes get ripped and torn apart while you are trying to shoot hoops. Even though you have the best outdoor basketball shoes that are especially designed for concrete courts, you still need to follow some tips to increase lifespan.
So what exactly should we do in order to increase durability? Here are some tips:
Clean the Sole Regularly - Make sure you clean the soles regularly using a toothbrush and soapy water solution. This will remove dust and grime particles lodged between grooves that may damage the rubber over time. Sandpaper or steel wool pads should never be used to clean these parts as they can scrape away at their thickness instead of just removing the grime lodged in the grooves.
Get Rid of Moisture - For best results, proper care should be done after every game to ensure that your shoes are always clean and dry. Make sure you air out your sneakers at least once a week by stuffing them with old newspapers or rags to get rid of the moisture trapped inside the soles.
Use Correct Insoles - Always make sure you wear the correct insoles for arch support. This will help absorb impact when your feet touch the ground no matter how sturdy your basketball shoes are designed for outdoor play or not. Wearing orthopedic insoles can eliminate injuries while improving stability and overall foot health for prolonged use outdoors.
Replace Laces Often - Replace basketball shoe-laces often to avoid being held back by long lengths of loose strings that may snag onto something and eventually tear the fabric.
Use Water-Resistant Shoe Spray - If you live in an area with a lot of rain, invest in good quality water-resistant basketball shoe protector spray to keep your sneakers looking new for as long as possible.
Following these tips can help increase the durability of your best outdoor basketball shoes, but always remember that it's important to take care of them the right way to avoid any damage!
Basketball is an aggressive game especially on the outdoor courts and can be demanding at times. Shoes play an important role as they are bearing the whole stress as you turn and spin in the game. Certainly, you need a pair of good shoes to achieve maximum performance on the court. Additionally, they should be durable enough to withstand the hardships of outdoor courts from concrete floors to changing weather conditions like the basketball hoops.
There are thousands of different types of shoes in the market and all of them claim to be the right shoes for basketball. Good shoes cost more and if you choose to purchase brands, they charge a premium amount for their high-quality products. However, we have made it easier for you and provided you with details of the best outdoor basketball shoes including branded shoes. We chose these shoes considering the fact of durability and performance along with comfortable to wear.
We recommend you to purchase premium quality Nike Lebron Soldier XIII SFG Men's Basketball Shoes if you can afford. Their durability and performance are unbeatable and having your ankle covered is a plus. Under Armour SC 3zer0 III are also good shoes being midrange and yet suitable for professional games as well. Finally, Under Armour Lockdown 4 are good outdoor shoes at a low price.
Frequently Asked Questions: (FAQs)
Is it OK to wear basketball shoes outside?
No, it's not okay to wear basketball shoes outside for regular wear. The main reason is that the shoes will lose their grip because of the rough surface. And, they will be de-colored due to exposure to the sun. So, it is recommended not to use basketball shoes outside the court.
Are kyries good for outdoor?
Yes, especially the Nike Kyries 5 and Nike Kyries 6 basketball shoes because of their durable rubber outsole. Moreover, the traction pattern is significantly awesome and these shoes are especially designed considering outdoor circumstances such as hard concrete courts and weather conditions.
What is the best basketball shoe in 2021?
Nike LeBron Soldier XI is the best basketball shoe in 2021. Here is a list of our picks of the best basketball shoes
- Nike Lebron Soldier XI Mens Basketball Shoes - Best Basketball Shoes for Ankle Support
- Nike Lebron 17 - Best Nike Basketball Shoes
- Under Armour Men's HOVR Havoc 2 Basketball Shoe - Lightest Basketball Shoes
- Under Armour Men's SC 3zer0 Iii Basketball Shoe - Most Comfortable Basketball Shoes
- Nike Men's Air Precision High-Top Mesh Basketball - Best Mens Basketball Shoes
- adidas Men's Ownthegame Wide Basketball Shoe - Wide Basketball Shoes
- Nike Men's Lebron Witness IV Basketball Shoe - Best Low Top Basketball Shoes
- adidas Men's Harden Stepback Basketball Shoe - Cheapest Basketball Shoes
- Under Armour Men's Lockdown 4 Basketball Shoe - Best Budget Basketball Shoes
Why do NBA players wear low tops?
The low tops basketball shoes allow NBA players to move with freedom and without any pressure around the ankles. Low-tops shoes help in fast turns and quick moves.
Is it bad to wear basketball shoes every day?
No, it's not bad to wear basketball shoes every day if you wear them to play basketball. But always air them after you take off to keep them fresh. However, do not use them for casual use or other outdoor activities on daily basis.