Dunk calculator is a useful tool for basketball players to find out how high do you need to jump to dunk. This calculator will give you an approximate idea of the required force to jump at a certain height.
In my own experience, I have found that the more you bend the knees, the less force you require to jump high. However, it will demand more energy to reach at a desired peak level. I would suggest you train your legs to increase your vertical jump.
How does Dunk Calculator Work?
It is pretty easy, follow the steps and insert whatever is required in the fields below;
Step – 1: Enter your height in feet and inches. If you do not know how tall you are, simply measure with the measure-tape from toe to the peak of the head.
Step – 2: Enter your standing reach that is the most important element to consider while dunking. In case you are unaware of your Standing Reach, read the details below and the steps to measure it.
Step – 3: Put in the height of the rim. The standard height of a basketball hoop is 10 feet. Most of the basketball goals have heights written on them. However, if you are not sure how high the hoop is, just measure from the ground level and insert the digit.
Step – 4: Insert the extra reach you require to get to the rim. Usually, it is 6 inches for most of the basketball players.
Height of a Basketball Hoop:
A basketball hoop is usually 10 feet high. All the basketball championships and leagues use goals with the same height. Some hoops are adjustable, they can be fixed or portable. Therefore, I would suggest you to adjust the height at 10 feet of basketball hoop before you start practicing dunking drills.
Importance of Height to Dunk a Basketball
You might have heard that basketball isn’t a game of short folks. It isn’t true as long as you can jump high or perfect your skill to hoop the ball. However, taller players have an advantage of height.
In case you might be asking yourself how tall you should be to perfectly dunk the hoop, you are wondering over wrong the question. There are a few other factors involved such as wingspan, fly time and vertical jump.
The average NBA height of players is from 6 to 6.54 feet, and the NBA hoop is 10 feet. You can easily count average reach by height x 1.33. Therefore, performing a dunk is much easier for players above 6.4 feet. The shorter players struggle a bit but if they can jump high, they are equally skillful.
There have been shorter players in the history. The shortest NBA player is Tyrone Curtis “Muggsy” Bogues, who is an American former basketball player and his height is 5 feet 3 inches. People used to say, “It was impossible for a short guy like him to play in NBA”, but he gained fame by his great performances.
The tallest NBA player is Gheorghe Mureșan, a retired Romanian basketball player. He is 7 feet 7 inches tall and can reach the hoop easily just by standing. Therefore, height is a great advantage to dunk the basketball.
Therefore, measure the jump and reach you require with a dunk calculator and improve your jump for perfect dunking.
How to Improve Jump for Dunking?
As we have heard that training legs help in a higher jump. Yes, it’s true! In particular, vertical boxes jump is a great exercise to jump high. Follow the instructions below to improve jump for dunking:
- Always warm-up before you play or even exercise the jumping drills. Most of the athletes use a jumping rope to warm up the muscles and let the blood flow in the body. It is mandatory to warm-up whether you play on indoor or outdoor courts.
- Performa slow and controlled toe jumps to prepare ankles and feet for perfect jump and landing.
- Slowly progress with vertical jumps by perform raise on jump boxes. Also, train with jump squats and force yourself to go higher.
- Train your legs, the most essential part to increase jumping level due to full strain and force on the legs. In addition, training the core is also as important as the legs. The core helps to stay longer in the air.
Note: Always make sure to keep your knees bent while landing to prevent any injury.
Are you eager to jump higher as soon as possible? Read and learn how Adam Folker added 4 inches in his vertical jump in just one hour! It is a great guide for beginners or short dunkers to jump higher and improve the jump.
You will definitely see a significant difference in your performance if you can increase only 4 inches extra in your vertical jump.
How to Measure Standing Reach?
Standing reach is the highest level of your one hand that you can get to while standing on the ground. Your feet must stay flat on the ground, do not raise your ankles. Follow below the things you require and steps to measure the standing reach:
- A flat wall
- A tape measure
- Partner or friend (optional)
- Any kind of marker such as chalk or pointer, if you are measuring alone.
Steps to Measure:
- Stand straight against a flat wall sidewise.
- Raise the arm which is closest to the wall and reach it to as high as it can get to. Do not raise your ankles, make sure to keep your feet flat on the ground.
- Ask your partner to measure from the ground to the highest level of your hand.
- In case you are by yourself, hold a chalk or pointer between your fingers, again raise your hand high and mark the wall.
- After that, measure the distance of the mark from the ground to the tape.
- As a result, you will get the value from the measuring tape and that will be your standing reach. It is important to know it for a dunk calculator and to find out how easy or difficult it is to dunk.
I would recommend performing the above-mentioned steps for three times and calculate the average for the precise result.
Frequently Asked Questions: (FAQs)