Last Updated December 13, 2021 by Edward Pullen
Basketball size vary for athletes of different ages and gender. It is not recommended for a boy under 14 years to play with official NBA size basketball. In the same way, a basketball professional female uses slightly smaller basketball as compared to men. In case you are wondering what are the different sizes of basketball, this article will definitely help you to find the right size basketball in 2022.
Is it important to choose the correct basketball size? Yes, of course, it is important to choose the correct size of basketball for good practice of ball-handling and shooting. Particularly, players intend to develop bad habits with different size balls. As a result, they will find it difficult to undo those habits. Therefore, it is necessary to practice with the right size ball to feel the weight, and for better dribbling and passing.
Also, young players intend to lose interest in the game if they find the ball too heavy or feeling less grip on it. A basketball player should find the shooting and hooping exciting, and that is only possible if he/she plays with the recommended basketball size.
Read the Complete Guide To Buy The Right Basketball. Details about basketball size, material, grip, bounce and durability.
Table of Content
Basketball Size – Recommended Sizes with Weight
A list of basketball sizes in 2022 with their circumferences, weight and recommended age is below;
|Basketball Size||Circumference||Weight||Recommended Age|
|Size 7||29.5 Inches||22 oz||Teenager boys above 15 and adult men. This is official size of professional (like NBA), high school and college basketball leagues.|
|Size 6||28.5 Inches||20 oz||Official size for women basketball professional, high school and college leagues.
Official size for women basketball professional, high school and college leagues.
Boys from 12 to 14 years
|Size 5||27.5 Inches||17 oz||Standard size youth basketball available in most of the stores. Suitable for both genders of 9 to 11 years.|
|Size 4||25.5 Inches||14 oz||Children friendly size from 5 to 8 years|
|Size 3||22 Inches||10 oz||Mini basketball for children from 4 to 8 years.|
|Size 1||16 Inches||8 oz||Small basketball for kids from 2 to 4 years.|
Note: Basketball size is irrespective of the basketball court – whether it is indoor or outdoor basketball court.
Playing with the Correct Basketball
You might have noticed a slight difference in the size and weight but it makes a huge difference while shooting the ball. You lose the grip due to a little extra circumference and your shots will not be accurate because of the weight. So, we suggest you practice with the recommended basketball size to improve your skills and enjoy the game.
Have your basketball lost some air and you cannot find the needle? Here’s how you can inflate a basketball without a needle.
In my own experience, I improved my skills even while playing basketball for fun. Once you start playing with the right sized basketball, your focus remains on performance and not on ball handling. As a result, you improve your dribbling techniques and enhance your shooting performance along with enjoying the game.
Find the best indoor basketball and improve your skills to professional level.
Advantages of Playing with Right Basketball
- Playing with the right size of basketball will not put too much stress on your wrists and shoulders
- Basketball is a rapid game where players need to stay focus all the time for the next moves. Thus, if you are playing with the correct ball, your focus will not divide into ball-handling or gripping
- Since it is about controlling the ball with your hands, long passes or aggressive dribbles can cause wrist or arm injury if the ball is over-weighted
- Athletes intend to develop habits in the sports, thus, playing with the right ball is an advantage even if you feel it awkward at the beginning
Also, read about finding the best basketball shoes to perform better in the court.
Frequently Asked Questions: (FAQs)
What are the different basketball sizes?
The different basketball sizes are below;
- Size 7 – 29.5 inches Circumference (Weight – 22 oz)
- Size 6 – 28.5 inches Circumference (Weight – 20 oz)
- Size 5 – 27.5 inches Circumference (Weight – 17 oz)
- Size 4 – 25.5 inches Circumference (Weight – 14 oz)
- Size 3 – 22 inches Circumference (Weight – 10 oz)
- Size 1 – 16 inches Circumference (Weight – 8 oz)
What is the standard basketball size?
The standard basketball size is 7 – 29.5 inches in circumference. It is the official size of the NBA league and all the professional basketball leagues for men. However, the standard size for women is 6 – 28.5 circumference.
What size basketball does a 7th grader use?
Size 7 – 29.5 inches. 7th and 8th-grade school boys use official size 29.5 inches basketball. And, 7th grade girls use size 6 – 28.5 inches basketball.
What size is WNBA basketball?
The official basketball size of WNBA is size 6 – 28.5 inches in circumference
Can two basketballs fit in one hoop?
Yes, two basketballs can fit in one hoop as long as the circumference of both does not exceed 56 inches. A basketball rim’s diameter is 18 inches with a circumference of 56.5 inches. So, two basketballs of size 7 or size 6 will not fit in one hoop because the circumference will exceed the rim. But, a pair of basketballs with size 7 and size 5 can fit, similarly a pair of size 6 and size 5 OR below can fit in one hoop.
See our selection of the Best Women’s Basketball Shoes.
- How to Become NBA Referee – Official Ref Requirements/Salary - February 22, 2022
- Muggsy Bogues Dunk – Shortest Player Could Actually Dunk? - February 14, 2022
- How to Palm a Basketball – Exercises to Hold with Better Grip - February 13, 2022